Result Sources and Welcome page RRS feed

• Question

• Based on the instructions from MSDN, I was able to create a custom Result Source that displays the results from a shared network drive only - I named it "Shared".

Then, based on the same instructions, I created a Welcome Page called Shared.apsx .

Then, under Settings/Site Settings/Search Settings, I click on Add link, and I add the Welcome Page "Shared" I just Created.

When I try to perform a search, I get results for "everything", "people", "conversations", "videos" and the one I just created, "shared". However, Shared does not filter any data based on the Result Source that I made earlier. I verified that the query in the Result Sources works - it displays results for my Shared drive only.

It seems that I am missing a setting that would tell my Shared.aspx welcome page to display only results from my "Shared" Result source I created earlier.

Any idea on how to connect these two?

Monday, April 8, 2013 6:08 PM

Answers

• MSDN just sent me more data, but I am still having a hard time... I need to edit the search web part, and I did, but still same results. I just verified my Result Source, and still it won't display just those results..

G. Editing Search Results web part to get Result Source under search box's drop down list.

1. Browse Search Centre's result page "http://sp2013/sites/search/Pages/results.aspx".

2. Click on Gear Icon -- Edit Page.

3. Edit Search Results web part.

4. Under Search Criteria click on Launch Query.

5. Select query as "My Files".

6. Under Property Filter select below options:

Path                            (1st drop down)

Contains                    (2nd drop down)

Manual Value           (3rd drop down)

. Under value field provide network share path "\\DCSQL\docs".

. Click on Add Property Filter.

. You will see that configured property filter is shown under "Query Text" field as below:

{searchTerms}  Path:\\dcsql\docs

. Click on Test query.

. You will that the search results for the documents under network share will be shown under "Search Results Preview" pane.

(See below image)

Monday, April 8, 2013 6:48 PM
  • I found the answer on my own, so hopefully this helps someone. Once when you do configure the query from step 4, you actually have to make sure that {searchTerms}  shows up in the query window - for some reason it wasn't  showing up for me.
    Monday, April 8, 2013 8:22 PM

All replies

• MSDN just sent me more data, but I am still having a hard time... I need to edit the search web part, and I did, but still same results. I just verified my Result Source, and still it won't display just those results..

G. Editing Search Results web part to get Result Source under search box's drop down list.

1. Browse Search Centre's result page "http://sp2013/sites/search/Pages/results.aspx".

2. Click on Gear Icon -- Edit Page.

3. Edit Search Results web part.

4. Under Search Criteria click on Launch Query.

5. Select query as "My Files".

6. Under Property Filter select below options:

Path                            (1st drop down)

Contains                    (2nd drop down)

Manual Value           (3rd drop down)

. Under value field provide network share path "\\DCSQL\docs".

. Click on Add Property Filter.

. You will see that configured property filter is shown under "Query Text" field as below:

{searchTerms}  Path:\\dcsql\docs

. Click on Test query.

. You will that the search results for the documents under network share will be shown under "Search Results Preview" pane.

(See below image)

Monday, April 8, 2013 6:48 PM
  • I found the answer on my own, so hopefully this helps someone. Once when you do configure the query from step 4, you actually have to make sure that {searchTerms}  shows up in the query window - for some reason it wasn't  showing up for me.
    Monday, April 8, 2013 8:22 PM