none
DPM 2012 SP1 certificate stores gone after in upgrade to Server 2012 R2 RRS feed

• Question

• I took a test DPM server (DPM 2012 SP1, fully patched) and upgraded the underlying OS from Server 2012 to 2012 R2 (RTM / MSDN)

The DPM certificate stores were gone so my tape backups fail.

How to avoid this, get them back and so on?

CarolChi

Wednesday, October 16, 2013 2:59 PM

All replies

• HI,

If the Windows Server upgrade removed the certificates, then you have no choice but to re-import the certificates.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, October 16, 2013 8:03 PM
  • The certificate stores went completely, along with their contents.

I have backup of the certificates, but I don't think it is very easy to re-create the stores.

CarolChi

Wednesday, October 16, 2013 8:05 PM
  • Hi,

If you run the makecert command - it will remake the DPMBackupStore - then you can delete the bogus self signed one and import your own.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb808937.aspx

Makecert.exe -r -n "CN=Bogus" -ss DPMBackupStore -sr localmachine -sky exchange -sp "Microsoft RSA SChannel Cryptographic Provider" -sy 12 -e  <expiry date in mm/dd/yyformat>

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, October 16, 2013 8:17 PM
  • Hi I have the same issue here, the above command is not creating certi store - Is there a way to restore the store with the certificates?

Regards

Rameesh 

Tuesday, March 22, 2016 6:03 AM
  • Are you running from an elevated command prompt?

It does not remake your certificate, but you should have a copy somewhere, otherwise you would not be able to restore your backup on another system.

CarolChi

Tuesday, March 22, 2016 6:34 AM