Terminal service license server error RRS feed

• Question

• After attempt to reactivate the license server (via automatic link) i've got error about " ... Responding Microsoft site ...".

And after that Activation status of Terminal server  become "Unknown". Each attempt to activate the license server gets error :

"The License Server Activation Wizard encountered an internal error from the license server. Message Number: 0xc0110011 "

Event's Message is:

Can't generate a license for client because of error 'Can't add certificate to store, error c0010020.

'.

How to resolve this?

------------------------------------------------- 

Windows 2003 Terminal server Licensing services

-------------------------------------------------

Monday, March 29, 2010 6:54 AM

Answers

• We have seen this issue.

Pasting from the resolution given to other affected customers.

The problem is:

One Certificate in the chain issued by Microsoft Clearing house on Activation of License server expired on 26<sup>th</sup> Feb 2010.

Repercussions:

1.       Event 17 will start getting logged every reboot asking to Re-Activate.

2.       User does re-activation
    Reactivation can be done in 3 ways- Web-Method, Telephone, Automatic(Internet)

a.       Web-Method & Telephone Method – problem will persist (Event 17 will get logged – this is a bug!)

//Web&Telephone method code wrongly assumes that hive will not be present,

//as certs are generated only if activation was done by automatic method.

Work-Around: Delete following registry keys hives, all 3 of them.

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\TermServLicensing\Certificates.

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\services\TermservLicensing\Parameters\Certificates.000

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\services\TermservLicensing\Parameters\Certificates.001

b.        Automatic Method – Problem will go away, automatic activation deletes all these hives

3.       Instead of Re-activation, user by mistake did some other interaction with CH (Like CAL installation using Automatic method) LS gets deactivated and User would see 0xC0110011 error.

Work-Around: Delete above registry hives.

HTH,

Ritesh

• Proposed as answer by Tomas Hidalgo Monday, March 29, 2010 1:44 PM
    • Marked as answer by Rong Chen Tuesday, March 30, 2010 7:31 PM
    Monday, March 29, 2010 1:03 PM
  • Works like a charm! but for those blondes like

goto Start / Run / Regedit

HKLM = HKEY_Local_Machine

then proceed as above and delete the registry trees from the left panel in regedit

When you have completed this reboot the computer so the changes take effect.

Now try to login from a remote connection and every thing should be fine

• Marked as answer by dkd6517 Friday, June 4, 2010 8:40 AM
    Wednesday, March 31, 2010 11:29 PM

All replies

• We have seen this issue.

Pasting from the resolution given to other affected customers.

The problem is:

One Certificate in the chain issued by Microsoft Clearing house on Activation of License server expired on 26<sup>th</sup> Feb 2010.

Repercussions:

1.       Event 17 will start getting logged every reboot asking to Re-Activate.

2.       User does re-activation
    Reactivation can be done in 3 ways- Web-Method, Telephone, Automatic(Internet)

a.       Web-Method & Telephone Method – problem will persist (Event 17 will get logged – this is a bug!)

//Web&Telephone method code wrongly assumes that hive will not be present,

//as certs are generated only if activation was done by automatic method.

Work-Around: Delete following registry keys hives, all 3 of them.

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\services\TermservLicensing\Parameters\Certificates.000

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\services\TermservLicensing\Parameters\Certificates.001

b.        Automatic Method – Problem will go away, automatic activation deletes all these hives

3.       Instead of Re-activation, user by mistake did some other interaction with CH (Like CAL installation using Automatic method) LS gets deactivated and User would see 0xC0110011 error.

Work-Around: Delete above registry hives.

HTH,

Ritesh

• Proposed as answer by Tomas Hidalgo Monday, March 29, 2010 1:44 PM
    • Marked as answer by Rong Chen Tuesday, March 30, 2010 7:31 PM
    Monday, March 29, 2010 1:03 PM
  • Works like a charm! but for those blondes like

goto Start / Run / Regedit

HKLM = HKEY_Local_Machine

then proceed as above and delete the registry trees from the left panel in regedit

When you have completed this reboot the computer so the changes take effect.

Now try to login from a remote connection and every thing should be fine

• Marked as answer by dkd6517 Friday, June 4, 2010 8:40 AM
    Wednesday, March 31, 2010 11:29 PM
  • Thank you for assistance.

The Activation status of TS licensing server is Activated again. But it does not accept Licensed CAL (i have 2 unused CALs) . Each RDP connection is registered as Temporary Licenses.

Tuesday, April 13, 2010 5:55 AM
  • It works very fine. This procedure saves my day.

I entered to the regedit and erased the next keys

I restarted the server and it there was, The terminal server licensing was actived again and is issuing temporary licenses again...

Thanks to all of you

Friday, May 28, 2010 2:51 PM
  • Sorry to dig this back up, but I want to confirm that doing this via this procedure doesnt delete the existing CALs on the server.

We currently have a client with 7 CALs installed, which were purchased approx 5 years ago from a company that is no longer around.

The paperwork/emails for these calls has so far proved elusive, and as I found out on another server yesterday, uninstalling the TS Licensing also uninstalls and user access CALs that are on the server currently.

Obviously I cant have this happen on this second server and would like to ensure that it is going to be OK before uninstalling the TS licensing.

Thanks,

Andrew

Friday, June 4, 2010 3:58 AM
  • I didn't have a problem with that in fact the problem server found cals on my other server!
    Friday, June 4, 2010 5:14 AM
  • The procedure obove is working. Several days later i saw that TS License server assigns "Permanent License" to the client again.

By the way i am going to completely reinstall the server.

Friday, June 4, 2010 8:40 AM
  • Doing all things you have written have solved my problem.

My license server was doing the same but now it works ok. It's not necessary to reboot the server. Stopping the license server service, removing registry hives and starting again license server solved the problem.

Thank you for response, you have saved me of rebooting a critical 24x7 server and reinstalling again license server.

Sorry for bad english.

Tuesday, June 15, 2010 11:49 AM
  • Worked like a charm. :)

Thanks so much for posting.

Tuesday, June 22, 2010 6:18 PM
  • Can anyone tell me if I follow this and I don't have a my lic handy will I need to contact MS Clearinghouse to get my lic?  Or will this fix the problem using what is already on my server?

Thanks

Thursday, June 24, 2010 6:55 PM
  • Thanks a million! This worked great.

I didnt have the second two keys however.

These keys were located under HLKM\CurrentControlSet1 and CurrentControlSet2.

I still deleted them and rebooted and the activation was back.

thanks again.

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 6:26 PM
  • thanks this worked but I did NOT need to reboot.  just deleted the keys, and then restarted the Terminal Server licensing service!
    Thursday, July 1, 2010 5:33 PM
  • Just had problem in my TS farm as well. This solution did fix the "unknown" status just fine.

related question - a number of devices were issued temporary licenses - will these now become permanent over the next few days of user logon logoff.

It has been many years since i paid any attention to TS licensing - it has just always worked for the past 7 years  :)

Tuesday, July 20, 2010 11:12 PM
  • It works very fine. This procedure saves my day.

I entered to the regedit and erased the next keys

I restarted the server and it there was, The terminal server licensing was actived again and is issuing temporary licenses again...

Thanks to all of you

Worked for me. :)
    Wednesday, July 21, 2010 3:26 PM
  • I worked for me as well Thanks.

Sunday, August 15, 2010 3:27 PM
  • I'm having a similar issue.

Recently (around 2 months ago) activated a R2 RDS License Server. All done via Telephone.

At the time, everything was ok, until...

...a day ago, a pop-up appeared in the tray the other day on RDS session server saying there was grace period leftover.

After looking at the RDS Lic Srv, there was nothing at first view very obvious. Because of an open proactive case with MS Support for performance tuning, a BPA for RDS was done, and it said the RDS Lic Srv was not activated.

SURPRISE..............How did this happen ???

Have a few ~Event ID 18 for Terminal Server Licensing, and they are not sequential in the days that it occurs.

Lately the event appeared more or less, every other day. Around 3 weeks ago, it disappeared for a whole 10 days straight.

We're just about to start a large deployment of RDS session servers and this looks like things might get complicated.

Any ideas???

Team is a group in which members work together intensively to achieve a common goal.
    • Edited by Ice4Fire Friday, November 19, 2010 11:18 PM coorected description of MS Supoort
    Friday, November 19, 2010 11:16 PM
  • Removing the registry keys did not solve my issue. What i had to do is install the following hotfix and reboot:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;983385

Hope this helps you!

Monday, November 22, 2010 9:19 PM
  • *Update*:

If you are experiencing any/all of the following issues:

1. Event 17:

Event Type: Warning
    Event Source: TermServLicensing
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 17
    Date: date
    Time: time
    User: N/A
    Computer: computer name
    Description:
    One or more Terminal Server Licensing certificates on server computer name are corrupt. Terminal Server Licensing will only issue temporary licenses until the server is reactivated. See Terminal Server Licensing help topic for more information.

2. Event 38:

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: TermServLicensing
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 38
    Date: 3/17/2010
    Time: 3:15:32 AM
    User: N/A
    Computer:
    Description:
    Can't generate a license for client because of error 'Can't add certificate to store, error c0010020.'

3. Activation error:

" The License Server Activation Wizard encountered an internal error from the license server.Message Number: 0xc0110011 "

Please apply the hotfix mentioned in the following article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/983385

- Applies to Server 2003, 2003 R2, 2008 & 2008 R2.

Saturday, December 18, 2010 5:11 AM
  • Anecdotal experience:

I applied the hotfix to a 2003 x64 sp2 box.

Scenario was that osx boxes could not connect, windows boxes were fine (presumably because the windows rdp client still doesn't expire licenses)

On reboot, I could not make rdp connections from windows or osx boxes.

Connected via Dameware and noted that the event log entry that prompts for license server activation was not present.

Applied the hotfix again, and on reboot everything was fine - license server showed activated, and the preexisting licenses were again visible.

Friday, January 28, 2011 5:00 PM
  • Hi Ritesh,

I have the same problem on a SBS Windows 2008 server. Is it ok to delete theese keys on that system as well? When I look at the keys they include some Exchange information.

Thank you.

Regards,

Geir Tore

Thursday, July 28, 2011 8:47 AM
  • This sort out my problem. thanks guys for the input...
    Friday, August 12, 2011 1:59 AM
  • I had to delete the registry hives in order to deactivate (automatically) a 2008 license server. Worked fine after that.
    Wednesday, August 24, 2011 5:55 PM
  • This worked for me as well, other threads I found on the internet said an uninstall/reinstall of TS Licensing would be needed, which means re-issuing your TS cals.  This was much easier!

Thursday, October 6, 2011 8:56 PM