none
Issue saving project to server RRS feed

• Question

• Hoping someone can help with this one. Having an issue when saving a Project file to our server. An error pops up as showing;

The File "xxxxx" cannot be opened.

• Check that the file name path are correct
    • Check that the file format is recognized by Project.

Project files saved in a version earlier than Microsoft Project 98 can't be opened

If your file is from an earlier version, open it in that version, click save as  (file menu), and save in MPX format. Open the MPX file in the current version of Project. When you use this method, project data is imported, but formatting lost.

So following not being able to save to our server I attempt saving to desktop which saves fine but the Project file is corrupted and rows are duplicated or the order is jumbled up. If I only save to my desktop and do not attempt saving to the serve the file is okay. This has happened with Project 2003 and 2010.

Tuesday, March 19, 2019 9:16 PM

All replies

• Celtic1234,

So, which version of Project are you using? Is it fully updated?

If I understand correctly the file only appears to be corrupt if you immediately attempt to save locally after attempting to save to your server. Correct?

Connections to servers can have glitches and it almost sounds like that may be the case. Can you save other files (e.g. Excel, Word, etc.) to your server without issues?

Answer those questions and we'll go from there.

John

Tuesday, March 19, 2019 10:07 PM
  • I would love to know a solution as I am having the exact issue at the moment, I use Project 2016 and everyone else uses 2010 and I have been losing my work even though I save multiple times.

In the past it's just one of the subproject links that has dropped, or has jargon in front of it when they have done updates on our server so they just need refreshing, however this time they all seem to be fine. 

Tuesday, March 19, 2019 10:16 PM
  • So, which version of Project are you using? Is it fully updated? -Currently using 2010 but same issue was happening with 2003 which i was using up to last week

If I understand correctly the file only appears to be corrupt if you immediately attempt to save locally after attempting to save to your server. Correct? - Correct, it's like any contact with the server corrupt the file immediately. If I just save to my desktop without attempting to save to server the file is fine.

Connections to servers can have glitches and it almost sounds like that may be the case. Can you save other files (e.g. Excel, Word, etc.) to your server without issues? - All other files (excel, word, etc.) work and save without issue.

Thanks in advance

Wednesday, March 20, 2019 1:28 AM
  • Celtic1234,

What is the version number of your installation of Project 2010? It should be 14.0.7224.5000. Note, Project 2010 is no longer actively updated but that version was the last update (Nov 2016).

If you create a new Project file with a few tasks and resources, can you save it to the server? If yes, then I suspect your working file is corrupt. In that case try saving to XML. Then re-open the XML file in Project and see if you can now save it to the server.

John

Wednesday, March 20, 2019 3:20 PM
  • John,

Thanks for response. Yes I'm running on the latest version of 2010.

This is happening on multiple project files and also happening my colleague on a separate computer running with Project 2003 version. I'm assuming it's something to do with our server or a Microsoft update that has created a glitch between the server and this particular software.

It's very frustrating!!!

Thursday, March 21, 2019 1:09 AM
  • Celtic1234,

I would agree, it appears to be related to your server connection although you say you are able to save other Office files without problems. If it is somehow related to Project itself and your server unless you have a support contract with Microsoft, it is highly unlikely you will get an resolution.

I didn't ask and you didn't mention which version of Windows you are using. There could be a conflict there.

Although still very functional, Project 2003 and Project 2010 are quite "long in the tooth". You might want to consider upgrading to a current version of Project.

Sorry I can't be of more help. Perhaps someone else will jump in with some new ideas.

John

Thursday, March 21, 2019 3:38 PM
  • John,

Thanks for your time. I hear you about upgrading to a newer version but for what I use the program for 2010 is more than adequate.

I'll just have to continue saving to desktop only for the time being.

Thanks again

Thursday, March 21, 2019 10:45 PM