none
System Center 2012 SP1 Implementation & SQL Server Requirements RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I would like to ask you some questions about System Center 2012 products implementation.

I will purchase 2 Server ( 2 Processor each) + 1 SAN Storage. Also, I am planning to implement Microsoft Virtualization technology. There will be 6 VMs for my servers ( e.g. DC, File sharing, DB,...etc)

Could you give me the requirements for System Center products (App Controller, Configuration Manager, Data Protection Manager, Endpoint Protection, Operations Manager, Orchestrator, Service Manager, Unified Installer, and Virtual Machine Manager):

What I mean that 1) can they be all on one server or different servers? How many?

2) Can they installed on physical or VM? Which ones?

3) Which of those products needs SQL Server?

4) Can I use one SQL Server for all required system Center 2012 component? if so, which is better physical or VM server?

Waiting for your reply..

Thank you very much for your help

Haitham Al-Haj

Sunday, March 10, 2013 9:37 PM

Answers

• What I mean that 1) can they be all on one server or different servers? How many? - I would recommend a dedicated VM for every component as best practice. However, some of the components can co-exists. Check TechNet library for more details here.

2) Can they installed on physical or VM? Which ones? Every component is supported as virtual machine.

3) Which of those products needs SQL Server? Every component requires a SQL server to contain its database(s).

4) Can I use one SQL Server for all required system Center 2012 component? if so, which is better physical or VM server? Some components have requirements for specific collations (like SCOM, SCSM) and some are more intensive than the others. From a performance point of view, no. You can use one SQL, but several instances.

-kn

Kristian (Virtualization and some coffee: http://kristiannese.blogspot.com )

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 8:22 PM
  • Yes - the SQL can of course be a virtual machine as well.

Check this link for more information: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj851033.aspx

-kn

Saturday, April 6, 2013 1:50 PM
  • Hi,

Please find the answers.

1. If you have two Servers, Configured Failover Cluster between Them, Add SAN, heartbeat Newtork, Management Network and VM Network.

2. Create VM Machines, Add them in HA via Failover Cluster.

3. Create VM Machine for SQL and install SQL 2012 Sp1 Server instances in Single VM with 4 processor, attach additional Drives for DB and logs of All system center Suites or you can Install 3 VM for SQL, keep 2/3 SQL Instances in Single VM.

4. keep 16 GB RAM , 4 VCPU, 40 GB Root partition with Additional Drivers of 50 GB( DB) and 25 GB( logs).

5. Install SCVMM, SCOM, SCCM,SCDPM,App controller and other in VM Machines.

6. 4/8 GB is recommened RAM of max System center Suite, Processor you can increase as per load increases.

7. All Products need SQL Servers, you can use same SQL Instance for SCVMM and App Conroller.

8. Create Different VM for App controller and SCVMM.

9. You can use Single VM Machine for All System Center Suite, keep in HA, Take Backup on regular Basis.

10. Increae RAM for SQL Server as per Load Increase, Start it with 16 GB RAM, 4 CPU, 1 NIC, 40 GB HDD with Additional Drivers of 50 GB( DB) and 25 GB( logs) of Each SQL Instnace.

Like SCVMM DB( E drive) and logs( F drive)--- 50 GB and 25 GB.

same process of another instances, like SCOM DB will be G drive with 50 GB, SCOM TL will be 25 GB.

Thanks

Note: 1. Keep DC and ADC out of cluster nodes.

2. install OS 2012 in all system suite VM, use OS 2008 r2 Sp1 only in  Service Manager SMportal VM with Sharepoint 2010 only.

3. Use System Center 2012 Sp1 RTM Suite.

4. Cloud Process pack and Hyper-V 2012 Management Pack is also released for Cloud Implememtation

Kirpal Singh

Saturday, April 13, 2013 2:05 PM

All replies

• What I mean that 1) can they be all on one server or different servers? How many? - I would recommend a dedicated VM for every component as best practice. However, some of the components can co-exists. Check TechNet library for more details here.

2) Can they installed on physical or VM? Which ones? Every component is supported as virtual machine.

3) Which of those products needs SQL Server? Every component requires a SQL server to contain its database(s).

4) Can I use one SQL Server for all required system Center 2012 component? if so, which is better physical or VM server? Some components have requirements for specific collations (like SCOM, SCSM) and some are more intensive than the others. From a performance point of view, no. You can use one SQL, but several instances.

-kn

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 8:22 PM
  • Thank you Kristian very much for these useful replies. 

Can you give me the link about " I would recommend a dedicated VM for every component as best practice. some of the components can co-exists. Check TechNet library for more details here"? To check system center coexist component   

About the point 4>> You suggest that one SQL Server will be OK, but I have to create several instant for each component. Correct! & Can it be VM SQL Server or NOT?

Waiting for your reply..Thanks

Haitham Al-Haj

Thursday, March 21, 2013 12:01 AM
  • Yes - the SQL can of course be a virtual machine as well.

Check this link for more information: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj851033.aspx

-kn

Saturday, April 6, 2013 1:50 PM
  • Hi,

Please find the answers.

1. If you have two Servers, Configured Failover Cluster between Them, Add SAN, heartbeat Newtork, Management Network and VM Network.

2. Create VM Machines, Add them in HA via Failover Cluster.

3. Create VM Machine for SQL and install SQL 2012 Sp1 Server instances in Single VM with 4 processor, attach additional Drives for DB and logs of All system center Suites or you can Install 3 VM for SQL, keep 2/3 SQL Instances in Single VM.

4. keep 16 GB RAM , 4 VCPU, 40 GB Root partition with Additional Drivers of 50 GB( DB) and 25 GB( logs).

5. Install SCVMM, SCOM, SCCM,SCDPM,App controller and other in VM Machines.

6. 4/8 GB is recommened RAM of max System center Suite, Processor you can increase as per load increases.

7. All Products need SQL Servers, you can use same SQL Instance for SCVMM and App Conroller.

8. Create Different VM for App controller and SCVMM.

9. You can use Single VM Machine for All System Center Suite, keep in HA, Take Backup on regular Basis.

10. Increae RAM for SQL Server as per Load Increase, Start it with 16 GB RAM, 4 CPU, 1 NIC, 40 GB HDD with Additional Drivers of 50 GB( DB) and 25 GB( logs) of Each SQL Instnace.

Like SCVMM DB( E drive) and logs( F drive)--- 50 GB and 25 GB.

same process of another instances, like SCOM DB will be G drive with 50 GB, SCOM TL will be 25 GB.

Thanks

Note: 1. Keep DC and ADC out of cluster nodes.

2. install OS 2012 in all system suite VM, use OS 2008 r2 Sp1 only in  Service Manager SMportal VM with Sharepoint 2010 only.

3. Use System Center 2012 Sp1 RTM Suite.

4. Cloud Process pack and Hyper-V 2012 Management Pack is also released for Cloud Implememtation

Kirpal Singh

Saturday, April 13, 2013 2:05 PM