System Interrupts problem/ Computer locking up on windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• Please Help,

I'm running windows 7 on my HP M9350F and it "System Interrupts" is always taking up at least 10% of my cpu, but often times 25-50%. I updated all the drivers I could, but could not find a chipset driver that works with windows 7.  My computer also has a problem with randomly locking up, sometimes very quickly after I turn my computer on, and sometimes not for a long time. I downloaded the hotfix for the USB problem/System hang up, and it fixed the USB issue on my computer, but not the Locking up. I'm assuming the system interrupts issue is a driver issue, but I can't think or how to solve it. here are my specs:

AMD Phenom X4 9850 (2.5 ghz)
    Nvidia 9800 GT
    Realtek HD Audio
    Nvidia 8200 chipset
    Sunday, November 15, 2009 11:42 PM

Answers

• Hi eolson5

I know that you have two problems on your HP M9350F. In order to avoid confusion and keep track of the troubleshooting steps, we usually troubleshoot one issue per thread. This is to ensure we find a resolution as soon as possible. With regards to System Interrupted issue (high CPU), when system locking up issue is resolved, you can submit a new thread to continue the troubleshooting.

Based on the information you have provided, this issue can occur because the drivers installed on your computer is incompatible with Windows 7. After checking the drivers on HP site (HP M9350F), I found that only Windows Vista drivers were provided on it. Also, please open Device Manager via Control Panel and see if there are yellow marks that labeled on your hardware device.

At the same time, it is necessary for us to check the issue in Safe Mode.

If the issue does not occur in Safe Mode, we can conclude that the root cause of the issue is the device drivers or 3rd party services. Then, I suggest updating your motherboard and the Nividia display card to check the issue.

For your convenience, you can check them via the following site.

AMD Phenom X4 9850

Nvidia 9800 GT

Nvidia 8200 chipset

Realtek HD Audio

Good luck!

• Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Wednesday, November 25, 2009 3:54 AM
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 1:31 AM

All replies

• eolson5 -

I have the same system (love it) and have had the same problem. 

I also noticed the clocking and was restarting as a temporary solution.  Today it went up to 100%  and stayed there for what seemed like forever.  My programs programs eventually stopped working so I rebooted.  After say 10 minutes, the screen flickered and Windows indicated that it was installing a new driver.  I now have a Nvidia GForce 9800 GT driver from 6/26/09 AND Nvidia GForce 9200 from 07/18/09 present in device manager.  

I don't know if the new driver did the trick, why it installed a second driver or if I should even have two installed but it seems to be working.  Have been up for several hours now without and processing strain.

You may want to look at your driver installation and see if removing the existing one and reinstalling will help.  If I notice anything strange happen, I will update this message.

Best of luck!

Tuesday, November 17, 2009 9:18 PM
  • Hi eolson5

I know that you have two problems on your HP M9350F. In order to avoid confusion and keep track of the troubleshooting steps, we usually troubleshoot one issue per thread. This is to ensure we find a resolution as soon as possible. With regards to System Interrupted issue (high CPU), when system locking up issue is resolved, you can submit a new thread to continue the troubleshooting.

Based on the information you have provided, this issue can occur because the drivers installed on your computer is incompatible with Windows 7. After checking the drivers on HP site (HP M9350F), I found that only Windows Vista drivers were provided on it. Also, please open Device Manager via Control Panel and see if there are yellow marks that labeled on your hardware device.

At the same time, it is necessary for us to check the issue in Safe Mode.

If the issue does not occur in Safe Mode, we can conclude that the root cause of the issue is the device drivers or 3rd party services. Then, I suggest updating your motherboard and the Nividia display card to check the issue.

For your convenience, you can check them via the following site.

AMD Phenom X4 9850

Nvidia 9800 GT

Nvidia 8200 chipset

Realtek HD Audio

Good luck!

• Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Wednesday, November 25, 2009 3:54 AM
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 1:31 AM
  • Hey guys, I have the same problem.  My HP m9350f will suddenly become unresponsive at random times.  Sometimes, it will happen once every few hours and other times, I will happen once every few days.  The only way to get rid of the problem is to reboot.  Often times, my computer is so unresponsive that it will fail to restart.  In those cases, I have to shut it down by pressing down the power button and holding it down until the computer turns off.

When I open the task manager, it shows 90-100% CPU usage.  However, Task Manager does not show which process is using up all my CPU time.  But Process Explorer shows that Hardware Interrupts and Deferred Procedure Calls together account for 80-90% of CPU usage.  I am using all the latest drivers from Nvidia for the video and chipset.

I have been trying to find a solution to this problem for weeks, but I cannot figure out which device is causing the interrupts!  Here are some things I have tried while the computer is unresponsive due to hardware interrupts: (1) unplug all USB devices, did not help [it didn't help] (2) disabling wifi, sound [didn't help], (3) checked to make sure hard drives were not in PIO mode [they were all in DMA mode according to nforce sata driver].

Has anyone found a solution to this problem?
    Sunday, November 22, 2009 6:32 PM
  • I had the same issue with a cpu usage of 70-80% (systemproces) after a clean install of Windows 7 and it was miraculously fixed by doing a system components repair with Windows 7 Manager (the trail version).

I don't actually know what Windows 7 Manager has fixed but after the repair and reboot my pc is running like a Kenyan on speed with approx. 0% cpu usage, maybe it had something to do with a misconfiguration during the installation of Windows 7.

You can always try it and I have to say that Windows 7 Manager is also a excellent piece of software to manage and maintain Windows 7.

link: http://www.yamicsoft.com/windows7manager/index.html

(you also have to be sure it isn't a incompatible (chipset?) driver off course)
    Monday, November 23, 2009 3:31 AM
  • Cannot install Windows 7 Manager in safe mode. The computer locks up immediately after logging-in. I've rolled back driver - did not work; installed drivers from the manufacturers - all Win7 compatible - still did not work. Whats going on with Win 7. I never had this problem with Vista. I think it could be a problem with explorer. Before the immediate lockup - when it locked up 30 minutes after logging-in - I killed explorer using task manager; it ran all night with no problems. Now, however I cannot even launch task manager.
    Forgot to mention blue screen of death.
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 8:00 AM
  • Did you do an upgrade or a clean install of Windows 7 and did you check everything ( biosupdate? etc.) as described here before installing windows, especially the 'known issues' part?

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01778879&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=3747345#N941

Things you can do,

=> Update the bios if there's a newer one available. (important)

=> There's a Seagate SATA Hard Disk Drive Firmware update for the HP M9350F.
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01735425&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

=> Check the windows event logs for clues and possible answers, run troubleshooting and all diagnostics within Windows 7 if you haven't already done that.

=> Disable power savings and hibernation, choose 'high performance' and change the power plan to disable all power-saving setting.

=> Insert the Windows 7 cd-rom in your pc and and go to start > run > type cmd > In the command prompt type sfc /scannow to check and repair systemfiles. You can also run it when booting in Safe Mode with Command Prompt. (and run chkdsk /f if you haven't already done that).

If that doesn't help,

=> Do a System Restore in 'Safe Mode with Command Prompt'.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Start-System-Restore-from-a-command-prompt

After the system restore and the first boot  go directly to 'Windows Update' and install all the updates. You can also check manually for driver updates in the device mangager and choose 'search in windows update for driver updates' instead of installling the driver provided by manufacturers, you have to figur out for sure if you need to install a driver from Microsoft update or provided by a manufacturer.

=> Check your bios settings and disable any device you don't use like channel devices, ports and onboard devices to prevent conflicts and free up resources. It's actually important that the bios setttings are set correct and optimized before installing an OS because the configuration of the OS depends heavily on the bios settings.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=bph07110&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=3747345

You can (separately) disable onboard devices in the bios to check which device(s) are potentially causing problems.

(BIOS help guides:)
    http://www.techarp.com/freebog.aspx
    http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/ultimate_bios_guide_every_bios_setting_revealed?page=0%2C0

=> If you can't fix it do a clean install and go from there that can save a lot of time.
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 9:49 AM
  • Update - Had to change the name from t1durr3tt to regentofthesun becase the computer crashed. 

I really need some help!

I thought that the issue was resolved but in the past week or so it came back.  I wasn't paying attention yesterday and it started it's heavy clocking.  After about two hours or so I came back and the screen was locked up.  Tried uptaing the driver, deleting it and reinstalling and even did a recovery to Vista. 

After booting up in Vista something remained corrupted and the display when all bad after logging in.  Is it possible that the video card may now be bad due to the prolonged heat?  The only way I can view the display is to disable the card.

1. Is it possible that a driver problem could corrupt the hardware?
    2. Is there a way to confirm the card is bad so it can be replaced?  I dont want to waste 100+ if it is not the problem.

If anyone has any ideas, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!!!

Monday, December 7, 2009 2:53 AM
  • Well, I'm in the same boat as Regentofthesun.  I don't know what windows 7 did, but it completely locked up while I was AFK and baked the inside of my PC. It didn't take my graphics card, but it claimed the life of my hard drive. I tried to reinstall Vista onto it, but kept getting corruption errors and lockups with what I can only describe as the sound of spastic crickets coming from the drive. I think something in Windows 7 conflicts with the firmware of  one of M9350f's hardware components. I replaced the hard drive with a 1TB WD and am unwilling to brave installing Windows 7 on this machine again, so I'll just stick to Vista for now.
    Tuesday, December 8, 2009 10:44 AM
  • Strange thing just happened. Windows 7 has reset the date end time to Vista's (factory) date and time. It now reads  26/04/2007. And get this, it hasn't locked up yet. Its performing at max; right now i'm simultaneously running two different antivirus programs with aero, and a whole host of services (did that just to see how far i can go without locking up). That does not mean the problem has been solved, before, I corrected the date and time and it froze. What is it with this odd behaviour. At least on my end, its a software issue, something that relies on system date. Its not Windows update, I once disabled it and explorer just hung.
    Tuesday, December 8, 2009 12:01 PM
  • Yeah, its a date issue. I tried running Windows Update - got an error asking me to fix the date so that it closely matches that on the servers. Adjusted date and time and as soon as I clicked "OK" it froze almost immediately. Not hour, minutes, or even seconds - just click and freeze. What program could be causing this? Resetting date to 2007.
    Tuesday, December 8, 2009 1:27 PM
  • I'm sorry to hear that your hardware got messed up because of this problem.  I have left my computer on all night and when it locks up, it's running 100% CPU, which generates a LOT of heat inside our mini-tower cases.  I'm lucky I haven't suffered any failure.

I have to say, my computer has been running a lot more smoothly since I installed all of the optional hardware drivers on Windows Update.  In fact, it ran 100% stable until the Hardware Interrupts / Deferred Procedure Calls problem reared its ugly head again.  Except this time, it happened when I attached a USB hard drive to my computer and copied to some files to it.  That's when the problem started.  Then I thought back to all the other times that this problem occurred and it dawned on me that it always occurred soon after I copied files over the USB bus (thumb drive, media card reader, etc.).

According to the post below, it seems that this problem affects computers with nvidia USB controllers and 4+GB of RAM.  I downloaded and installed the hotfix and so far the problem has not been back.  Hopefully this is a permanent fix.

Note: when requesting the Hotfix file, make sure you are using 64-bit Internet Explorer.  If you use a 32-bit browser, then Microsoft will send you the 32-bit hotfix, which won't install on 64-bit Windows 7.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprohardware/thread/38f25c1d-de67-4c74-8845-2cd3a15d8e41

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976972
    Tuesday, December 8, 2009 10:09 PM
  • Hey All - Sorry to hear that others are having simular issues.

After doing another recovery I decided to pull the graphics card and use the on-board card.  It seems that the on-board card isn't that bad.  It's being reported by Windows as an nVidia 9200 w/256mb dedicated.  For those with the m9350f, you have to take the plastic cover from the on-board DVI connector.  It's displaying windows aero fairly well but this is day one...time will tell.  Has anyone replaced the 9800gt with another card?
    • Proposed as answer by Thiago Correa Wednesday, December 16, 2009 12:18 AM
    Wednesday, December 9, 2009 6:40 AM
  • Hi,

I had the same problem today. It turns out that the problem was that I had 64 bits HPET enabled at the BIOS. I changed it back to 32 bits HPET and it was back to normal.
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 12:20 AM
  • Alright, it looks like HP released a patch for the USB problem at least.  I'm almost certain that the USB problem was at the root of our hardware interrupt / deferred procedure call related lockups/freezes.  Hopefully this problem is solved for good.  I downloaded the hotfix from Microsoft a while back and I haven't had the problem since.  This update is supposed to be the same as the MS hotfix.

Link:
    http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Lockups-Freezes-Hangs/Driver-update-for-Win7-USB-issue-on-nVidia-chipset-systems-now/td-p/188193
    • Proposed as answer by andorra Sunday, December 20, 2009 12:49 AM
    Sunday, December 20, 2009 12:48 AM