Broken icons all over the place RRS feed

• Question

• I have Win7 Ultimate and Office 2007 installed.  All the icons for Office are this generic looking thing that's hard to describe.  They're like that in the start menu and the taskbar.  IE shows the right icon and many other apps do but some others, like Skype, show the same generic icon on the taskbar.

If I go into File Associations, the little icons beside the file extensions (like .doc) are all broken yet if I click on it, in the header of the association Window it shows me the right Word icon yet nowhere else.  I tried changing the icon in the start menu but in the shortcut properties the Change Icon button is greyed.

How do I get my icons to show the right icon and not generic/broken one's?  And yes, I deleted the icon cache file, it made no difference.

Thanks!
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 3:41 PM

Answers

• Depending on the machine that you are using, it might just be a performance issue. I notice the same thing on my lappy that has limited ram (only 1 gig).

After a while it started to behave (thumbs are generated and cached).
    • Marked as answer by meshman333 Thursday, November 12, 2009 4:25 PM
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 4:00 PM

All replies

• Depending on the machine that you are using, it might just be a performance issue. I notice the same thing on my lappy that has limited ram (only 1 gig).

After a while it started to behave (thumbs are generated and cached).
    • Marked as answer by meshman333 Thursday, November 12, 2009 4:25 PM
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 4:00 PM
  • I have 1.5g and very little free.  Likely the problem.

Thanks!
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 4:25 PM
  • As a test, boot to Safe Mode. How do they look there (beside large and ugly)? If ok then perhaps it is RAM.

Rich
    Friday, November 13, 2009 12:37 AM
  • Yeah pity the price of sodimms and ram modules in general isn't what it used to be. Need another 2 gigs of ddr3 myself.
    Friday, November 13, 2009 10:56 AM
  • I have the same exact problem, but it's definitely not RAM for me. I've got 4 gigs of RAM. What do I do?
    Friday, December 4, 2009 2:48 AM
  • Oh, nevermind. I just deleted iconcache.db and had it refresh and that fixed my problem.
    Thanks anyway, though.
    Friday, December 4, 2009 3:05 AM