installing ftp Server on Core RRS feed

• Question

• How do I install the ftp service on server core? What dependencies must I install? I only want the ftp server nothing more.
    Friday, November 7, 2008 2:00 PM

Answers

•  

Installing the FTP Server Role

To install the FTP Server on Server Core you need to execute the following command:

start /w pkgmgr /iu:IIS-WebServerRole;IIS-WebServerManagementTools;IIS-IIS6ManagementCompatibility;IIS-Metabase;IIS-ManagementScriptingTools;IIS-FTPPublishingService;IIS-FTPServer

This command will install the necessary binaries, create an exception in the Windows firewall named "FTP Server (FTP Traffic-In)' and create an FTPRoot folder in the InetPub folder on your system drive. (In my case this looks like C:\InetPub\FTPRoot)

Alternatively you can use the following commands:

start /w ocsetup IIS-WebServerRole
    start /w ocsetup IIS-IIS6ManagementCompatibility
    start /w ocsetup IIS-Metabase
    start /w ocsetup IIS-FTPPublishingService
    start /w ocsetup IIS-FTPServer

Starting the FTP Publishing Service

Eventhough the FTP Publishing Service was installed its startup type is set to Manual after initial installation. To configure the service to start automatically and start it type the following two commands:   

sc config MSFTPSVC start= auto
    net start MSFTPSVC

Friday, November 7, 2008 5:19 PM

All replies

•  

Installing the FTP Server Role

To install the FTP Server on Server Core you need to execute the following command:

start /w pkgmgr /iu:IIS-WebServerRole;IIS-WebServerManagementTools;IIS-IIS6ManagementCompatibility;IIS-Metabase;IIS-ManagementScriptingTools;IIS-FTPPublishingService;IIS-FTPServer

This command will install the necessary binaries, create an exception in the Windows firewall named "FTP Server (FTP Traffic-In)' and create an FTPRoot folder in the InetPub folder on your system drive. (In my case this looks like C:\InetPub\FTPRoot)

Alternatively you can use the following commands:

start /w ocsetup IIS-WebServerRole
    start /w ocsetup IIS-IIS6ManagementCompatibility
    start /w ocsetup IIS-Metabase
    start /w ocsetup IIS-FTPPublishingService
    start /w ocsetup IIS-FTPServer

Starting the FTP Publishing Service

Eventhough the FTP Publishing Service was installed its startup type is set to Manual after initial installation. To configure the service to start automatically and start it type the following two commands:   

sc config MSFTPSVC start= auto
    net start MSFTPSVC

Friday, November 7, 2008 5:19 PM
  •  Thank you for your reply. I will try this. During I asked and you posted the answer I found the ftp for IIS7 (http://learn.iis.net/page.aspx/334/installing-iis-70-on-server-core/). Maybe you can tell me whether this works at the core system? And when yes how can I manage this one?
    Friday, November 7, 2008 5:59 PM
  • Hi,

Yes, that will work but it is for installing the web server, not ftp server.

Andrew
    Friday, November 7, 2008 11:07 PM
  • Excellent instructions.
    I have ftp working but I would like to change the default directory to a different drive.
    I have this drive configured and formatted as D:

Also, down the road I may have to expand the D: partition.
    Any idea of how to do this?

And finally, I would like to set this up in a cluster/NLB format with a 2nd ftp server.
    Any instructions on how to configure this?

Thank you,
    Curtis
    Thursday, August 20, 2009 3:36 PM