none
2011 migration tool error on scan HELP RRS feed

• Question

• When running the tool the scan fails.  The SourceTool.log file shows the following:

!Error! BPAEngine: Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.SmallBusinessServer.Tools.MigrationPrep.Wizard.BPAException: Unexpected PSRuntime exception. ---> System.Management.Automation.CommandNotFoundException: The term 'get-mbcamodel' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.

at System.Management.Automation.CommandDiscovery.LookupCommandInfo(String commandName, CommandOrigin commandOrigin)

at System.Management.Automation.CommandDiscovery.LookupCommandProcessor(String commandName, CommandOrigin commandOrigin, Nullable`1 useLocalScope)

at System.Management.Automation.CommandFactory._CreateCommand(String commandName, CommandOrigin commandOrigin, Nullable`1 useLocalScope)

at System.Management.Automation.Runspaces.Command.CreateCommandProcessor(ExecutionContext executionContext, CommandFactory commandFactory, Boolean addToHistory)

at System.Management.Automation.Runspaces.LocalPipeline.CreatePipelineProcessor()

at System.Management.Automation.Runspaces.LocalPipeline.InvokeHelper()

at System.Management.Automation.Runspaces.LocalPipeline.InvokeThreadProc()

--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.SmallBusinessServer.Tools.MigrationPrep.Wizard.MBCAEngine.Run()

at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.SmallBusinessServer.Tools.MigrationPrep.Wizard.BPALauncher.Run()

02/10/2011 20:11:04          Unexpected errors occurred during BPA scan.

Friday, February 11, 2011 2:48 AM

Answers

• OK, I got it working.  What I did was first uninstall and reinstall the Migration Tool.  That did not work.  I then unistalled and reinstalled the MCBA tool.  After doing that I ran it stand alone and it had a Model in the pop-up menu.  "Small Business Migration...".  Run the Migration tool and completed the scan.  I think the Migration tool may need to be installed before the MCBA tool so that the model is detected.  Thanks a ton for the help!

Friday, February 11, 2011 6:53 PM

All replies

• What version of SBS are you running this on?

Friday, February 11, 2011 3:28 AM
  • SBS 2003 SP2
    Friday, February 11, 2011 3:37 AM
  • Perhaps the 3 lines leading up to the error will help:

02/10/2011 15:37:01          Task finished successfully

02/10/2011 15:37:08          Starting health scan using MBCA engine..

02/10/2011 15:37:08          Health scan: MBCA model has been imported.

02/10/2011 15:37:08          Health scan: Execution policy is set to remotesigned. THIS LINE SHOULD NOT APPEAR IN THE OFFICIAL BUILD.

Friday, February 11, 2011 2:01 PM
  • Download and installed the Powershell right?

Close the migration tool, restart it again.  Now try it again. 

Friday, February 11, 2011 3:10 PM
  • I have and have rebooted and tried again.  It would seem this is something related to MBCA which I have installed.  When you run that there are no models on the server so the tool is worthless.  The SBS best practice tool is also installed and works which seems to be based on MBCA. 
    Friday, February 11, 2011 3:14 PM
  • Also for powershell:

PS C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator> $host.version

Major  Minor  Build  Revision

-----  -----  -----  --------

2      0      -1     -1

Friday, February 11, 2011 3:15 PM
  • Did you separately install MBCA?  As it needs that for the tool. 
    Friday, February 11, 2011 5:03 PM
  • Yes it (MBCAv2) is installed.  There is a prerequisite test right when you run the migration tool and that passes.  If I open MBCA on it's own there are no models installed on the system.  If I Google search I cannot find any 2003 server models available for download.  It seems like the migration tool should have shipped with a MBCA model and it did not so you get the error.  It would be nice if someone on the migration tool team would chime in...
    Friday, February 11, 2011 5:19 PM
  • The MBCA doesn't have a config file for 2003, but it's needed as the framework for this source tool.

The migration tool team people don't read this forum.  I am, however posting this up to see why this is doing this.

Friday, February 11, 2011 5:23 PM
  • Uninstall the Source tool and reinstall it please.
    Friday, February 11, 2011 6:14 PM
  • OK, I got it working.  What I did was first uninstall and reinstall the Migration Tool.  That did not work.  I then unistalled and reinstalled the MCBA tool.  After doing that I ran it stand alone and it had a Model in the pop-up menu.  "Small Business Migration...".  Run the Migration tool and completed the scan.  I think the Migration tool may need to be installed before the MCBA tool so that the model is detected.  Thanks a ton for the help!

Friday, February 11, 2011 6:53 PM
  • For verification: Had the exact same problem and the solution as above. Had to install MBCA after the installation of the migration tool.
    Monday, February 14, 2011 9:56 AM
  • Hi,  I'm receiving the exact same error.  What I could not find is the pop-up menu within the MCBA tool where you chooose "Small Business Migration".  I downloaded MCBA 2.2 did you just download MCBA 2?
    Friday, April 22, 2011 11:24 AM
  • That makes three of us jvsandst/fballdotcom. Thanks Susan!
    Friday, July 8, 2011 3:01 PM
  • This worked for me as well, the scan failed, I removed MBCA2 and then reinstalled it, the scan succeeds, thanks!
    Wednesday, July 13, 2011 8:02 PM
  • I had the same problem, resolution was realy simple, I just ran migration tool again and this error no more appeared.

• Proposed as answer by p2p Wednesday, September 7, 2011 2:39 PM
    Wednesday, September 7, 2011 2:39 PM

One and a half additions, it needs to be v2 of the MBCA and installed on the C: drive.

That, along with running the MBCAv2 tool before the migration prep tool.  I didn't need to actually run the report, all I needed to do was run the MBCAv2 tool and wait about 45 seconds for the model to populate.

Saturday, November 5, 2011 12:08 AM
  • Yes.  I had read somewhere else that the MCBA Tool had to be installed after the Small Business Migration Prep Tool, but when I tried installing the migration tool, it made me go back and install the MCBA first.  When running the migration prep, I received the same error: The term 'get-mbcamodel' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet...

After reading this posting, I uninstalled and reinstalled the MBCA.  Then the Small Business Migration tool ran flawlessly!

Tuesday, December 20, 2011 7:03 AM
  • Thanks everyone, I to ran into the same problem, I uninstalled, reinstalled and reran the Migration and it came out sucessful.  Funny, this is my 2nd 2003 - 2011 Migration and I didn't get this on my first server.  Glad this topic is here and #1 on my google query!

Monday, January 14, 2013 12:20 AM