none
DPM 2010 & W7 backs up Downloads even when Excluded RRS feed

• Question

• We're looking to start using DPM 2010 to start doing Client system backups so I'm going through the implementation and testing phase now.  I've setup DPM 2010 to do Client backups and setup the following protection rules.

• User Profiles - Include
    • My Music - Exclude
    • My Pictures - Exclude
    • My Videos - Exclude
    • Downloads - Exclude
    • Temporary Internet Files - Exclude

The issue I'm running into is this, on the W7 test machines all of the Excludes are bolded and unchecked EXCEPT for Downloads.

I've tried rebuilding the protection group several different ways and it always ends up still being added to the backup list.

Senior Systems Engineer - University of Central Florida
    Thursday, May 19, 2011 7:06 PM

Answers

• Hi,

We have investigated this issue, and in DPM 2010 and beyond you can exclude any path under "User Profiles" by selecting that option in the dropdown, then typing in the path as noted below.   I did this for a Windows 7 client and it worked like a charm.   Temporary internet files "ARE" exluded if you just select that option as noted below.  The Folder itself will show under the recovery tab, but no files are backed up under it.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, May 21, 2012 4:11 PM

All replies

• Hi,

When hte DPM Client shows it bolded it means the setting has been configured by policy on the DPM Server. Unchecked means it is excluded. Bolded and checked means the setting has been configured on the DPM Server and it is included.

From the DPM client if you try to add a check to a bolded and unchecked folder or if you try to uncheck a folder that is bolded and checked you will get a message stating that you cannot make changes to folders protected by company policy.

Thanks,

Marc

• Proposed as answer by MarcReynolds Thursday, May 19, 2011 8:32 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by brentil Thursday, May 19, 2011 8:33 PM
    Thursday, May 19, 2011 8:32 PM
  • I understand all of that, however the issue is that in the Protection Group I have "Downloads" set to "Exclude" yet they're showing as checked and not bold on the W7 desktops in the protection group.  Everything else that I've set to Exclude listed above is bolded and unchecked except for this one item.
    Thursday, May 19, 2011 8:35 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry I misread your first post. I understand the issue now and have been able to repro it. I am currently investigating the problem.

Thanks,

Marc

• Marked as answer by brentil Friday, May 20, 2011 4:18 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by brentil Wednesday, December 14, 2011 10:06 PM
    Friday, May 20, 2011 4:00 PM
  • Great, thank you!
    Friday, May 20, 2011 4:18 PM
  • It seems Links is doing the same thing as well.  I have it listed as "Include" but it's not being included in any of the test machines.
    Friday, May 20, 2011 4:41 PM
  • Hello, I am in the same boat as you were back in May.  Testing DPM 2010 with W7.  Same issue with the Downloads folder.  Have you figured it out?  Thanks.

• Edited by UncleGee Friday, September 23, 2011 10:07 PM
    Friday, September 23, 2011 10:00 PM
  • Hello, I am in the same boat as you were back in May.  Testing DPM 2010 with W7.  Same issue with the Downloads folder.  Have you figured it out?  Thanks.

Besides the answer from the person above at MS I've gotten nothing else and I have not seen any new updates to DPM 2010 come out at all.  Because of these issues we've opted to hold off deploying DPM to all of our users until it is fixed.
    Monday, September 26, 2011 1:57 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry I misread your first post. I understand the issue now and have been able to repro it. I am currently investigating the problem.

Thanks,

Marc

I've unmarked this question as answered because I just installed DPM 2012 Beta for evaluation and it has the exact same issue.  Client machines continue to backup Downloads data items marked as excluded and I've also noticed the Temp Internet Files are also being backed up even though they're excluded as well.  This has not been fixed in DPM 2010 either.

Wednesday, December 14, 2011 10:10 PM
  • Hi,

We have duplicated the problem and have reported it to the product group for evaluation.   Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for reporting it.

Please mark as answered as there is no solution at this time.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by brentil Tuesday, January 3, 2012 2:27 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by brentil Monday, May 21, 2012 4:15 PM
    Friday, December 23, 2011 12:27 AM
  • Hi,

We have investigated this issue, and in DPM 2010 and beyond you can exclude any path under "User Profiles" by selecting that option in the dropdown, then typing in the path as noted below.   I did this for a Windows 7 client and it worked like a charm.   Temporary internet files "ARE" exluded if you just select that option as noted below.  The Folder itself will show under the recovery tab, but no files are backed up under it.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, May 21, 2012 4:11 PM
  • This works in DPM 2010 & 2012?

Systems Administrator Senior - University of Central Florida

Monday, May 21, 2012 4:14 PM