Wsus 2016 disk usage problem RRS feed

• Question

• i run new wsus server with windows 2016, now my database is about 300 gigabyte just for critical and security update, is it ok? 
    • Edited by sh.d.a Saturday, July 1, 2017 5:26 AM
    Saturday, July 1, 2017 5:26 AM

All replies

• It depends on what you have selected for products and classifications. It also makes a HUGE difference if your settings are set to Download express installation files.

Click on Update files and Languages and make sure that "Download express installation files" is NOT checked. This 'option' will eat up space and is a mis-nomer with the description. It is not a 'stub vs. full' download of the update, where a stub installation will require an internet connection and download what's needed. It is essentially a revision control system for each file. A better description of what it does comes from:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc708456(v=ws.10).aspx#Anchor_2

"When you distribute updates by using this method, it requires an initial investment in bandwidth. Express installation files are larger than the updates they are meant to distribute. This is because the express installation file must contain all the possible variations of each file it is meant to update."

Either way, my script will help trim the fat from your WSUS server. My current size is 121GB, and I've seen someone say that theirs is currently 26GB.

Have a peek at my Adamj Clean-WSUS script. It is the last WSUS Script you will ever need.

http://community.spiceworks.com/scripts/show/2998-adamj-clean-wsus

What it does:

1. Remove all Drivers from the WSUS Database.
    2. Shrink your WSUSContent folder's size by declining superseded updates.
    3. Remove declined updates from the WSUS Database.
    4. Clean out all the synchronization logs that have built up over time (configurable, with the default keeping the last 14 days of logs).
    5. Compress Update Revisions.
    6. Remove Obsolete Updates.
    7. Computer Object Cleanup (configurable, with the default of deleting computer objects that have not synced within 30 days).
    8. Application Pool Memory Configuration to display the current private memory limit and easily increase it by any configurable amount.
    9. Run the Recommended SQL database Maintenance script on the actual SQL database.
    10. Run the Server Cleanup Wizard.

It will email the report out to you or save it to a file, or both.

Although the script is lengthy, it has been made to be super easy to setup and use. There are some prerequisites and instructions at the top of the script. After installing the prerequisites and configuring the variables for your environment, simply run:

.\Clean-WSUS.ps1 -FirstRun

and then

.\Clean-WSUS.ps1 -InstallTask

If you wish to view or increase the Application Pool Memory Configuration, you must run it with the required switch. See Get-Help .\Clean-WSUS.ps1 -Examples

If you're having trouble, there's also a -HelpMe option that will create a log so you can send it to me for support.

Adam Marshall, MCSE: Security
    http://www.adamj.org

Sunday, July 2, 2017 2:46 AM
  • thanks adam

i limited product 

config automatic approval for security and critical update

didnot use express installation

i performed clean up wizard but because server is new it didnot delete any thing

Sunday, July 2, 2017 2:03 PM
  • Hi Sh.d.a,

>i run new wsus server with windows 2016, now my database is about 300 gigabyte just for critical and security update, is it ok? 

What do you mean the "database", the SUSDB or the WSUS content folder?

WSUS stores metadata in SUSDB and stores update binary files in Content folder. Generally, when we select all products and classifications, the SUSDB will reach 9G. And WSUS server download binary files only when we approve updates, if you mean the Content folder reach 300G, then, this may due to you set the automatic approve rule, it approve all security and critical updates, and download the updates into Content folder.

It is OK if the disk space is enough, if you want to save the disk space, then we just need to approve the needed updates. You may remove the auto approve rules, make not needed updates "Not approved", then do wsus reset to redownload the update files.

C:\program files\update services\tools>wsusutil reset

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, July 3, 2017 5:28 AM
  • Hi Anne thanks for reply

I mean Content Folder , Content folder was 300G now it is 315G

i havent problem with disk space , i want to know with auto approval for security and critical updates Database how much grows almost?

Monday, July 3, 2017 9:23 AM
  • Hi sh.d.a,

> i want to know with auto approval for security and critical updates Database how much grows almost?

If also related with the products you selected. Please do the wsus reset as I mentioned above, check if it could work.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, July 11, 2017 1:47 AM