Windows has detected that your performance is low. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I keep getting messages about my desktop being slow and if I would like to disable windows Aero.

Well I don't want to disable it, I just want the error to dissapear. I don't believe my PC is actually slow, since it's not.

Is there any way to completely remove this error message (disabling it in control panel does NOT work.)

I don't want a solution such as disabling/enabling desktop composition since that's not a solution, it's a work-around.

My specs;

i7 4770k 3,5 GHz (OC'd to 4,0)

MSI GTX GeForce 770 4GB

Kingston HyperX 16 GB 2400 MHz (4X 4GB) (Yes I know my processor doesn't support 2400 MHz...)

Samsung EVO 250GB

Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H motherboard

I've read solutions as; Get more memory on your GPU, well it has 4GB, should be enough.

Also 'upgrading to latest drivers' is commonly heard, which I also have. So my request to microsoft is, please completely remove the error (or allow the windows users to disable it.).

Monday, July 14, 2014 7:30 AM

Answers

• Hi,

In this case, you’d better conduct a system restore to restore your computer to a time when then computer was in a good condition, sometimes installing a program or driver can make Windows run slowly or unpredictably. System Restore can return your PC's system files and programs to a time when everything was working fine, potentially preventing hours of troubleshooting headaches. It won't affect your documents, pictures, or other data.

Before you start System Restore, save any open files and close all programs. System Restore will restart your PC.

1.Open System Restore by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button. In the search box, type System Restore, and then, in the list of results, click System Restore

2.Follow the steps in the wizard to choose a restore point and restore your computer.

You can also refer to this article for detail support:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-hk/windows7/products/features/system-restore

Regards

Wade Liu
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Michael_LS Friday, August 8, 2014 11:16 AM
    Friday, July 25, 2014 6:23 AM

All replies

1. Go to the Start Menu and type Action Center on the Search box
    2. Start it (it should be the top entry, under the "Control Panel" group)
    3. On the left sidebar, click Change Action Center settings
    4. Untick the Windows Troubleshooting checkbox, under "Maintenance Messages".
    5. Click the Ok button and you are done.

Arnav Sharma | http://arnavsharma.net/ Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, July 14, 2014 7:37 AM
  • Thanks for your reply but as I stated earlier, this does not work.

"Is there any way to completely remove this error message (disabling it in control panel does NOT work.)"

With control panel, I mean exactly what you just described.

I did uncheck the box, but the error keeps prompting.

Monday, July 14, 2014 7:43 AM
  • The performance indicator has been removed in Windows 8; go ahead and upgrade :)
    Monday, July 14, 2014 8:57 AM
  • this is something i wish to avoid haha.
    Monday, July 14, 2014 12:08 PM
  • Hi,

Windows has detected your computer's performance is slow. This could be because there are not enough resources to run the Windows Aero color scheme or not enough for the GPU. To improve performance, try changing the color scheme to Windows 7 Basic in the way below:

1. Open Personalization by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type personalization, and then click Personalization.

2.Under Basic and High Contrast Themes, click Windows 7 Basic or one of the High Contrast themes.

Detail step can be seen at:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Change-the-theme-to-improve-performance

if this fails, you can try the following way to free more virtual RAM:

Type "advance system settings" in search box and select "view advance system settings".

On advance tab, click settings under performance.

In visual effect, select adjust for best performance and on the list, tick enable desktop composition, show thumbnails instead of icons, smooth edges of screen fonts and use visual styles on windows and buttons.

After this, you can try to see the result by restarting your computer

Regards

Wade Liu

Sunday, July 20, 2014 4:32 AM
  • @ wade liu, thanks for your reply but I'm already using this workaround (using a script for it.). I'm not receiving the message when using the workaround, I just want the message removed 100%. Just gone from my desktop since it's not a slow computer and this pop up is alt tabbing me out of any application. 

It's just a highly annoying useless 'error' message which should be permanently removed in my opinion.

Sunday, July 20, 2014 1:36 PM
  • Hi,

In this case, you’d better conduct a system restore to restore your computer to a time when then computer was in a good condition, sometimes installing a program or driver can make Windows run slowly or unpredictably. System Restore can return your PC's system files and programs to a time when everything was working fine, potentially preventing hours of troubleshooting headaches. It won't affect your documents, pictures, or other data.

Before you start System Restore, save any open files and close all programs. System Restore will restart your PC.

1.Open System Restore by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button. In the search box, type System Restore, and then, in the list of results, click System Restore

2.Follow the steps in the wizard to choose a restore point and restore your computer.

You can also refer to this article for detail support:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-hk/windows7/products/features/system-restore

Regards

Wade Liu

• Marked as answer by Michael_LS Friday, August 8, 2014 11:16 AM
    Friday, July 25, 2014 6:23 AM
  • Seems unneccesary since this problem exists since day 1 after assembling my desktop and installing it.

But I guess I'll wait for windows 9.

Friday, July 25, 2014 7:30 AM
  • Hi,

This might also be caused by a driver graphic card driver, you can perform a clean boot to avoid this issue. A clean boot is performed to start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs

1.Log on to the computer by using an account that has administrator rights.

2.Click Start, type msconfig.exe in the Start Search box, and then press Enter to start the System Configuration utility.

3.On the Services tab, click to select the Hide all Microsoft services check box, and then click Disable all.

4.Restart your computer.

Details as below reference:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Wade Liu

Wednesday, July 30, 2014 11:02 AM
  • I really AM SORRY to state that, but you seem a complete idiot Wade Liu!

That guy asked you about the complete removal of such an unneeded false-controlling feature as a kind of "performance meter". It really makes wrong estimates! It's unuseful, it should be turned off and that's it!

And you managed to make 2 stupid advice: restore the system, and uncheck all the startup programs! These two don't have anything in common with the problem described by the topicstarter.

Think many times before giving advice like you already gave!

So the problem persists: I have a Win7-64bit system with all the updates turned off 2 years ago (I don't need them at all so I don't want to trash my system with that litter). And I don't know how to turn that annoying window off without disabling desktop composition.

• Edited by WarAn7 Sunday, March 1, 2015 9:40 PM
    Sunday, March 1, 2015 9:34 PM
  • It's ironic that a pirated version of windows 7 works, and that the legit one is failing.

So again, in order to maintain legal windows 7 owners instead of people pirating them for more functionality >> Please fix your software, and delete this useless error message. 

And please, can you move this topic to another employee because your default replies aren't helping, I (in matter of fact "we, the people with this problem") need someone who can freely reply instead of being forced to post copy-paste solutions.

Tuesday, March 3, 2015 8:31 AM
  • This is the real answer.  
    Thursday, December 17, 2015 5:49 PM