Weird Values Returning inside ProClarity Desktop 6.3 RRS feed

• Question

•  

When I select a particular field in ProClarity to query the value is always "Item:0" when the value for that field in the dimension table record is NULL. Has anyone seen this before?
    Thursday, June 5, 2008 4:30 PM

Answers

• Yes, this is normal and how ProClarity displays a dimension member that contains a null value.
    Friday, June 6, 2008 2:01 PM

All replies

• Yes, this is normal and how ProClarity displays a dimension member that contains a null value.
    Friday, June 6, 2008 2:01 PM
  • OK another question. If I set in Analysis Services to display NULLs AS UNKNOWN why in ProClarity does it display this "Item:0"?

Does what I set in AS 2005 have any effect on ProClaity?

Another question, can you change ProClarity to display something less confusing?

Friday, June 6, 2008 3:30 PM
  •  

Are you referring to setting NullProcessing to UnknownMember?  You can convert nulls to 0's and then they'll appear as 0 in ProClarity.  Yes the "Item:0" display when a member caption is blank has been submitted as a CDCR but it's likely not going to change.  It's an artifact of how the ProClarity code constructs its data set and is 0-based.  So if it's the 0th item in the set it's "Item:0",if it's the 1st then it's "Item:1".  Basically if the value is blank it's going to show up like that and unfortunately ProClarity cannot be changed to display something else.  The recommend best practice is to avoid nulls and empty strings in your cube data via the ETL process.
    Friday, June 6, 2008 9:43 PM
  • If the members are being converted to "Unknown", ProClarity will display that.  Have you checked in the BIDS browser to be sure those members are being set to "Unknown"?  The cube will only set that value if there is a value in the fact table that does not have a corresponding value in the dimension table.  But, if the member caption is null or blank, and there is a valid join to the fact table, that won't be set to "Unknown", and so ProClarity will display it as "Item:0".

As Sean mentioned, it's best to clean this up in the ETL so you don't have to deal with it during cube processing.

Friday, June 6, 2008 11:34 PM