Is it possible to upgrade Vista Home Premium to Vista Ultimate with "anytime upgrade" gone, no dvd? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi folks, I have a machine running Vista Home Premium that I'd like to upgrade to Vista Ultimate (both 64-bit). With the "anytime upgrade" option no longer available for Vista, is there any easy way to do this upgrade? I'd hope I could just somehow drop in the Ultimate license key (hold your laughter--I don't spend my days upgrading Windows so don't realize if that's utterly impossible.)

I don't have any DVD for the upgrade. I obtained the key from MS Technet. There is a download offered there, but again, I already have the OS installed and updated to SP2. I'd suspect most software needed for ultimate is there and just deactivated for the lack of the right license key.

Is this a pipe dream, that I could easily upgrade? If I do download that installer, will it also perhaps just do a quick upgrade? Or something akin to a full upgrade/install? Can I assume that all apps will remain installed?

I've tried to search the forums but not found an answer. Thanks.

• Edited by carehart Sunday, December 26, 2010 5:36 PM modest rewrite of title
    Sunday, December 26, 2010 5:34 PM

Answers

• You need to install Vista, you cannot only "unlock" features. Put in the disk, run setup, choose update.

Home Premium to Ultimate is a official supported scenario for an "in place upgrade", meaning : All applications and settings will survive it . 

as a main rule :

all vista editions are on the standard DVDs. So if  you have a Home Premium disk, it also contains Ultimate.

( In Windows7 this is also true, but the file ei.cfg on the 7-disk limits it to one particulary installable edition. Removing ei.cfg from a Win7 disk will unlock all editions, so that its the same as default for vista )

For Vista : It all depends on the product key you use. It determines which edition to install.

So you can use the technet DVD, type in the Ultimate Key and you will end with Ultimate. Would you type in a "Home Premium" Key, you get that from the very same DVD..

You can also force the "CHOICE-SCREEN" BY DOING THIS :

The trick to get to the screen where you can choose which edition to install is to NOT type in a product key , you can do that later inside windows when it asks you to "lets activate "

Because you have a technet key you are a subscriber, so you also have ( or had in the past at least ) access to the ISO downloads.For convenience reasons just pick the x86/x64 iso that has SP2 already included. Edition-wise it's the key that matters, not the medium. There is only one generic disk, it holds OEM/RETAIL/EVAL, BASIC,PREMIUM,BUSINESS,ULTIMATE.  X32 and X64 disc is a matter of course. But thats about it.

So you better start the download soon.. its around 4GB for the iso . Because your update path is correct "Lower Home Edition to the full Home Edition ( Ultimate ) " you can keep all as it is, not reinstall programs. Home Premium to Business or "downgrade" to "basic" for instance would not be possible and would lead to "wipe" and redo all ...

The OS Tweaking Guy ;)
    • Edited by Smartie77nrw Monday, December 27, 2010 4:11 AM misunderstood OPs intention
    • Marked as answer by carehart Tuesday, December 28, 2010 1:21 PM
    Monday, December 27, 2010 3:55 AM

All replies

• You need to install Vista, you cannot only "unlock" features. Put in the disk, run setup, choose update.

Home Premium to Ultimate is a official supported scenario for an "in place upgrade", meaning : All applications and settings will survive it . 

as a main rule :

all vista editions are on the standard DVDs. So if  you have a Home Premium disk, it also contains Ultimate.

( In Windows7 this is also true, but the file ei.cfg on the 7-disk limits it to one particulary installable edition. Removing ei.cfg from a Win7 disk will unlock all editions, so that its the same as default for vista )

For Vista : It all depends on the product key you use. It determines which edition to install.

So you can use the technet DVD, type in the Ultimate Key and you will end with Ultimate. Would you type in a "Home Premium" Key, you get that from the very same DVD..

You can also force the "CHOICE-SCREEN" BY DOING THIS :

The trick to get to the screen where you can choose which edition to install is to NOT type in a product key , you can do that later inside windows when it asks you to "lets activate "

Because you have a technet key you are a subscriber, so you also have ( or had in the past at least ) access to the ISO downloads.For convenience reasons just pick the x86/x64 iso that has SP2 already included. Edition-wise it's the key that matters, not the medium. There is only one generic disk, it holds OEM/RETAIL/EVAL, BASIC,PREMIUM,BUSINESS,ULTIMATE.  X32 and X64 disc is a matter of course. But thats about it.

So you better start the download soon.. its around 4GB for the iso . Because your update path is correct "Lower Home Edition to the full Home Edition ( Ultimate ) " you can keep all as it is, not reinstall programs. Home Premium to Business or "downgrade" to "basic" for instance would not be possible and would lead to "wipe" and redo all ...

The OS Tweaking Guy ;)
    • Edited by Smartie77nrw Monday, December 27, 2010 4:11 AM misunderstood OPs intention
    • Marked as answer by carehart Tuesday, December 28, 2010 1:21 PM
    Monday, December 27, 2010 3:55 AM
  • Hi,

Windows Anytime Upgrade is no longer available for Windows Vista.

Please refer to: Windows Anytime Upgrade: frequently asked questions

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Tuesday, December 28, 2010 7:10 AM
  • Thanks, Smartie77nrw. Your first line answers my main hope. It's too bad that it's not as simple as dropping in a new key. As for running the installer, it's encouraging at least to hear that I should not have to reinstall s/w after the upgrade. Might be a while until I take the chance to confirm.
    Tuesday, December 28, 2010 1:23 PM
  • Magon, thanks, but I had made clear in my note that I realized that the Anytime Upgrade was no longer available for Vista. Not quite sure why you're repeating that here. My point was that, without that, it seemed that the upgrade from home premium to ultimate was going to be a bit more challenging, and Smartie's answer confirmed that.  No further reply expected.
    Tuesday, December 28, 2010 3:22 PM