Does AD RMS Track which user viewed my protected document? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a requirement from my client which requires the list of user who have viewed the RMS protected documents and the time 

Is there a way to retrieve this piece of information? 

The AD RMS in my client environment is working fine.

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 2:54 AM

Answers

• Hi AhCheng

You will have that information only if you have enabled the option "Require a connection to verify a user's permission"

Otherwise all that is available in the logging db tables is the first time the users have accessed the RMS protected documents.

Blog Link: http://blogs.cyquent.ae | Follow us on Twitter: @cyquent | ADRMS Wiki Portal: Technet Wiki

• Marked as answer by AhCheng Monday, November 28, 2011 3:08 PM
    Tuesday, August 23, 2011 6:54 AM
  • Hi AhCheng,

Document names are not passed to the RMS server when acquiring a license.

What you need to do is;
    Extract the publishing license's GUID from the document and look it up in the RMS logging database. (Field name should be s_ReceivedXrML)

As Adnan stated, you will not have information about offline usage if you do not enable "Require a connection to verify a user's permission" option.

hth
    Turgay

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 7:55 AM

All replies

• Hi AhCheng

You will have that information only if you have enabled the option "Require a connection to verify a user's permission"

Otherwise all that is available in the logging db tables is the first time the users have accessed the RMS protected documents.

Blog Link: http://blogs.cyquent.ae | Follow us on Twitter: @cyquent | ADRMS Wiki Portal: Technet Wiki

• Marked as answer by AhCheng Monday, November 28, 2011 3:08 PM
    Tuesday, August 23, 2011 6:54 AM
  • Hi AhCheng,

Document names are not passed to the RMS server when acquiring a license.

What you need to do is;
    Extract the publishing license's GUID from the document and look it up in the RMS logging database. (Field name should be s_ReceivedXrML)

As Adnan stated, you will not have information about offline usage if you do not enable "Require a connection to verify a user's permission" option.

hth
    Turgay

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 7:55 AM
  • That is quite a tough one.. but thanks for the suggestion.

Monday, November 28, 2011 3:10 PM