none
Reinstalling DPM and retain data. RRS feed

All replies

• Hi FNGM,

When you try to uninstall DPM, DPM setup wizard will ask you to:

• Retain disk-based recovery points

or

• Remove data

=> Choose Retain disk-based recovery points.

Be sure to have a backup of your DPM database (DPMDB.BAK) before to uninstall DPM.

Stephane

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties. knowledge is valid only if it is shared by All.

My DPM blog Yet Another DPM Blog

Monday, January 7, 2013 2:34 PM
  • Thanks, will it just pickup the old data automatically?

Also my old DPM is on 2012 RTM. If i make the new install 2012 SP1 and restore the database will it play ok?

Thanks

• Edited by FNGM Monday, January 7, 2013 3:44 PM
    Monday, January 7, 2013 2:58 PM
  • Hi,

If you plan to do new install of DPM 2012 SP1 on the same computer yes.

If you move on new server you will have to present your old storage (SAN,DAS) to your new server, then install DPM and restore DPM DB.

Stephane

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties. knowledge is valid only if it is shared by All.

My DPM blog Yet Another DPM Blog

Tuesday, January 8, 2013 7:56 AM
  • Yep its the same yes. Thanks will get cracking today.
    Tuesday, January 8, 2013 8:23 AM
  • This is how i fixed it in the end

1. Backup the Database in the command prompt, DPMBackup.exe -db, located at Microsoft Data Protection Manager\DPM\bin .

2. The backup will live in Microsoft Data Protection Manager\DPM\Volumes\ShadowCopy\Database - copy this folder to a folder in the root of the C drive.

3. Uninstall DPM 2012 select the option to retain the data.

4. Uninstall all SQL stuff on the DPM box.

5. Reboot

6. Install DPM 2012, without SP1. During the upgrade select the option to use windows updates

7. Don't open DPM at all. Run this command to restore the database by typing - DpmSync –restoredb –dbloc <DPMDB location>

8. Run this command DpmSync -sync

9. Run windows updates and install any DPM updates. Do not install any SQL updates.

10. Then run the SCCM 2012 SP1 upgrade.

11. Once thats done (it should work now) perform a consistency check.

• Proposed as answer by KenNoteboom Wednesday, March 20, 2013 4:07 PM
    Tuesday, January 8, 2013 11:19 PM