none
Chrome and Firefox can access VPN SP site, Edge and IE can't - though Edge & IE can access other (non-VPN) sites RRS feed

• Question

• Windows 10 with all latest updates

IE 11.187.14393.0

Edge 38.14393.0.0

Same set up (more or less) on laptop and desktop but IE and edge work properly on the laptop when connected to the same router (using Ethernet cable)  and don't work properly on the desktop.

I can't find this exact behaviour on any KB article or forum and I've investigated all the settings mentioned in related articles/posts. The laptop and the desktop have the same settings in every case.

Edge says: 

Hmm, we can't reach this page.

IE says:

This page can’t be displayed

The site I'm trying to connect to is a SharePoint site on a VPN. I'm using IPv4 on both the working laptop and the not-working desktop.

Troubleshooter can't find the problem

Obvious workaround is to simply use Chrome and Firefox, but the problem is that, when IE is broken, hyperlinks in Excel (and I presume other Office apps) don't work. So I need to get to the bottom of this.

Thursday, September 29, 2016 11:31 AM

All replies

• Hi Michael,

For this issue, I recommend to use fiddler to track the requests when accessing SharePoint sites in both the laptop and desktop and then compare the results.

And please also check if the issue occurs in other desktops for narrowing down the issue scope.

Best Regards,

Victoria

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, September 30, 2016 6:05 AM
  • Thanks for the reply. I'll give fiddler a try.
    Friday, September 30, 2016 7:44 PM
  • Hi Michael,

I am checking to see how things are going there on this issue. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Victoria

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, October 5, 2016 1:37 AM