Correct way to only have a MP enabled for a single server? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all

I would like to monitor only scheduled tasks on a single server. I've downloaded the MP from Progel. I went in and disabled discovery on all classes related to this. Then I made a dynamic group:

(Object is Scheduled Tasks 2008 Job AND (Scheduled Tasks Scheduler.Windows Computer.NetBIOS ComputerName Equals Server01) AND True)

I've checked that this dynamic group contains all the scheduled tasks from the server as expected (view group members).

Then I went in and created a new override for both 2008 Scheduled Jobs and 2008 Task Scheduler and said to enable for my dynamic group.

I hoped this would enable the MP for my dynamic group, but keep it disabled for everything else. But it doesn't discover anything.

I then saw that since disabling the discovery my dynamic list had been emptied and realised my mistake.

Instead I tried to create a static group contaning Microsoft.Windows.Computer:Server01(FQDN).

It still doesn't work.

So what is the correct way to do this?

Any help is greatly appreciated! :-)

• Edited by Casper83DK Monday, February 24, 2014 12:32 PM
    Monday, February 24, 2014 12:18 PM

Answers

• Open the pack in MPViewer and look for the seed discovery - this is usually going to target something like Windows Computer or a broad base class. Disable that discovery only out of box - it is not necessary to disable all discoveries.

Then, enable that discovery for a specific instance of class, and select the server in which you want the MP to run on.

Jonathan Almquist | SCOMskills, LLC (http://scomskills.com)

Wednesday, February 26, 2014 5:19 AM

All replies

• Once you have the static group (for one Windows computer object) in place, were the discoveries related to scheduled task MP enabled for this group?

Regards,

Saravanan

Monday, February 24, 2014 2:51 PM
  • You will need to check the object discoveries for the scheduled task MP.

some of the third party MPs have all their object discoveries disabled. Please do check the rules and monitors also. as they might be intentionally disabled to avoid flood of alerts.

Thanks, S K Agrawal

Wednesday, February 26, 2014 3:19 AM
  • Open the pack in MPViewer and look for the seed discovery - this is usually going to target something like Windows Computer or a broad base class. Disable that discovery only out of box - it is not necessary to disable all discoveries.

Then, enable that discovery for a specific instance of class, and select the server in which you want the MP to run on.

Wednesday, February 26, 2014 5:19 AM
  • Thank you all for your replies! :-)

As it turns out, it was the correct way to do it and it did work. The next morning when I showed up for work, they had all appeared and everything was working fine. So I just needed to add a dash of patience :-\

The reason I thought it didn't work, was because when I first imported the MP, we got instantly flooded with alerts. So I thought the discovery was very fast.

• Marked as answer by Casper83DK Thursday, February 27, 2014 7:32 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Jonathan Almquist Thursday, February 27, 2014 4:20 PM
    Thursday, February 27, 2014 7:32 AM
  • Thank you all for your replies! :-)

As it turns out, it was the correct way to do it and it did work. The next morning when I showed up for work, they had all appeared and everything was working fine. So I just needed to add a dash of patience :-\

The reason I thought it didn't work, was because when I first imported the MP, we got instantly flooded with alerts. So I thought the discovery was very fast.

No, that's not the correct way. Only the seed discovery needs to be disabled.

Thursday, February 27, 2014 4:21 PM
  • I did not know about the seed discovery till now. I've read up on it and it definately seems to be the way to go, at least for the MPs that incorporate this function. Unfortunately it doesn't seem like it's used by all MPs. If the Mp has not been set up with a seed discovery, then I'd think my method was the way to go - at least it worked. Thank you for your reply and I agree that your reply is the answer to my question.
    • Edited by Casper83DK Thursday, February 27, 2014 7:39 PM
    Thursday, February 27, 2014 7:36 PM