none
DPMbackup invalid commmand line RRS feed

• Question

• Making use of dpmbackup in an elevated powershell or dpm shell causes those kind of errors

PS C:\program files\Microsoft System Center 2012\DPM\DPM\bin> DPMBackup.exe -db
    DpmBackup 1.0 - Data Protection Manager backup command-line tool
    Copyright (c) 2012 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Error: Invalid command -db.

OR

PS C:\program files\Microsoft System Center 2012\DPM\DPM\bin> DpmBackup.exe -instanceName scvmmm
    DpmBackup 1.0 - Data Protection Manager backup command-line tool
    Copyright (c) 2012 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Error: Invalid command -instancename.

Anyone any idea?

Thanks, Paul

Monday, July 29, 2013 1:21 PM

All replies

• I'm assuming the SQL database is collocated on the DPM server. Is the account that you are logged in as a member of the local administrators group on the server and also has sysadmin SQL permissions to the DPM database?

Do you see any errors in the Application event log on the DPM server - the source should be the instance of SQL that DPM's database is installed to.

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 6:02 AM
  • Yes the database is collocated on the dpm server, yes I'm logged in as a member of the local administrator group and I do have sysadmin sql  permissions on the dpm database.

The application event log on the DPM server has no error events. 

It's not about permissions in my point of view because I can do  the dpmbackup -certificates command with a positive result. The result for all other  commands is invalid command

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 1:02 PM
  • If you have installed using the default database instance then you shouldn't need to specify the instance name.

If you have multiple instance then use syntax dpmbackup -db -instancename <INSTANCENAME>

Can you also check to see if the path "DPM\volumes\ShadowCopy\Database Backups" exists. Check the permissions on that folder and make sure the account that the SQL services that run the DPM database (usually MICROSOFT$DPM$Acct) has permissions for everything bar Change Permissions, Take Ownership to This folder, subfolder and files.

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 11:34 PM
  • I need to make a backup for adding a license key. I would like folowing the step as described in this article   Is it possible to make a standard backup of the dpm  database and resoring it? 
    Wednesday, July 31, 2013 1:01 PM