none
database use in a domain enviroment. RRS feed

• Question

• hello, I have a office with SBS 2003.  The workers use a server database program to record client info.  I see that SteadState can restrict websites to an approved list.  Would SteadyState restrict or hinder the data being passed on to the server when it is entered in to the database program on a protected client?  It sounds like the information would belost and not passed along.

I mean if the client machine was restarted would the data entered during the day be on the server when we closed the program and restarted the machine?  I understand that the system state would be reset on restart?  Thank you
    Sunday, July 22, 2007 12:50 PM

Answers

•  

Hi Weepy,

When you set selected “Prevent Internet access (except Web Sites below)” option, the system will set the proxy server in IE to a non-exist one (NoInternetAccess) and add web sites allowed to the “Exceptions”. The “Use the same proxy server for all protocols” option is checked. In this way, all web site access except for those allowed sites are blocked.

Generally speaking, IE proxy setting will not affect the SQL connection. Users can still connect, read and write to SQL server even when web sites access is blocked. As data is written to server’s database directly, the status of the client computer will not affect the server’s database. Thus, server’s database will not be modified when the client computer is reset on restart.

I have tested this on a Windows XP computer which has the above option selected, there is no problem to access & submit changes to SQL database through a client program.  However, please also understand that different client programs may have different configurations, and the application may have its own cache which is not written to SQL server. It is strongly recommended that you configure this setting on a test machine and check its SQL access status before you deploy the option to other domain clients.

Hope the above information is useful.

Best Regards,

Tuesday, July 24, 2007 9:54 AM

All replies

•  

Hi Weepy,

When you set selected “Prevent Internet access (except Web Sites below)” option, the system will set the proxy server in IE to a non-exist one (NoInternetAccess) and add web sites allowed to the “Exceptions”. The “Use the same proxy server for all protocols” option is checked. In this way, all web site access except for those allowed sites are blocked.

Generally speaking, IE proxy setting will not affect the SQL connection. Users can still connect, read and write to SQL server even when web sites access is blocked. As data is written to server’s database directly, the status of the client computer will not affect the server’s database. Thus, server’s database will not be modified when the client computer is reset on restart.

I have tested this on a Windows XP computer which has the above option selected, there is no problem to access & submit changes to SQL database through a client program.  However, please also understand that different client programs may have different configurations, and the application may have its own cache which is not written to SQL server. It is strongly recommended that you configure this setting on a test machine and check its SQL access status before you deploy the option to other domain clients.

Hope the above information is useful.

Best Regards,

Tuesday, July 24, 2007 9:54 AM
  • Thank you.  Very helpful.
    Thursday, July 26, 2007 12:34 AM