Multiple Hierarchies in Single Forest RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I’m really struggling to understand how SCCM 2012 would work in this scenario.

We have a single forest with 3 child domains. In the first of the child domains we have a SCCM 2007 hierarchy and in the second we have a SCCM 2012 hierarchy. We’d like to install a new hierarchy in the parent domain which will support clients in the third domain (and longer term the other two).

If we install a primary server in the parent domain and allow it to publish it’s MP to the Sys Man container, will the SCCM clients in the existing child domains (with SCCM installations) query AD and attempt to use the primary server in the parent domain?

Thanks,

Gareth

Wednesday, October 8, 2014 9:03 PM

Answers

• The answer is both yes and no. It will all depend on how you setup your boundaries. If the clients are not withing the boundaries then they will not try to use it.

Garth Jones | My blogs: Enhansoft and Old Blog site | Twitter: @GarthMJ

Wednesday, October 8, 2014 11:30 PM
  • Overlapping boundary/groups for content location won't cause issues and they are even supported. Also make sure that the sitecodes are unique.

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Thursday, October 9, 2014 6:17 AM

All replies

• The answer is both yes and no. It will all depend on how you setup your boundaries. If the clients are not withing the boundaries then they will not try to use it.

Garth Jones | My blogs: Enhansoft and Old Blog site | Twitter: @GarthMJ

Wednesday, October 8, 2014 11:30 PM
  • I see. So if I ensure my IP boundaries are non-overlapping, will the hierarchies co-exist happily?
    Thursday, October 9, 2014 5:17 AM
  • Overlapping boundary/groups for content location won't cause issues and they are even supported. Also make sure that the sitecodes are unique.

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Thursday, October 9, 2014 6:17 AM
  • Got it. Thanks all, that's really cleared things up for me.
    Thursday, October 9, 2014 8:05 AM