none
Evolution of a resource assigned on a task RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everybody,

I'm working on a project on Office Project 2010 right now and I would like to do something but I can't find the solution. Here's the thing :

Example : I'd like to be able to say that a resource is working at 20% on a task for the first seven days, then working at 80% on this same task for few days, and finally at 40% for the last seven days.

I would like to do that because my resources have to work on different tasks at the same time and when a task has ended, I would like to put the potential of working of that ended task on the new one.

Example :

First week : A is working at 40% on task A. A is working at 40% on task B. A is working at 20% on task C.

Second week : The task A ends. I want that A works at 60% on task B and 40% on task C.

Third week : The task B ends. I want that A works at 100% on task C.

I hope you've understood my problem.

Thanks,

Yours faithfully,

Baptiste.

Thursday, November 8, 2012 7:04 PM

Answers

• HI,

You can do that in Project, but it's totally manual and you absolutely don't benefit of any calculation from Project.

Asign the resources to the appropriate tasks (at 100%, manual correction follows)

Now show Task Usage view.

Here you can enter work day by day, resource per resource, task by task.

If I were you, I'd let people always work at 100% at one task till it's finished: you willl see that eveything will end sooner, but if you insist, it's possible.

Greetings,

Thursday, November 8, 2012 9:12 PM
  • You have explained what you want to do quite well, and it can be done easily enough, but you have to also consider whether it's worth it and whether the extra trouble has any real payoff, and also whether it is really what you want to do or should be doing for the sake of the project. Projects go faster if a person works on one job at a time until it is finished, as Jan says. If you spread your person across A, B and C, then it must increase the duration of A, or make it take longer than it should/could, so this just delays the point at which person can give full attention to B and C.

I would not do the assignment as percentages. If you are going that far then you may as well input the specific number of hours for each day (task usage view), and if you are doing that then the next step is to specify which particular hours (and minutes) in the day they are going to be. As Jan says, "resource per resource, task by task" and also hour by hour and minute by minute. It's all manual and the more manual it becomes the less automatic calculation you can take advantage of, and the maintenance requirement goes up. Remember, you have to track this later. It also creates problems for leveling.

Thursday, November 8, 2012 10:02 PM

All replies

• HI,

You can do that in Project, but it's totally manual and you absolutely don't benefit of any calculation from Project.

Asign the resources to the appropriate tasks (at 100%, manual correction follows)

Now show Task Usage view.

Here you can enter work day by day, resource per resource, task by task.

If I were you, I'd let people always work at 100% at one task till it's finished: you willl see that eveything will end sooner, but if you insist, it's possible.

Greetings,

Thursday, November 8, 2012 9:12 PM
  • You have explained what you want to do quite well, and it can be done easily enough, but you have to also consider whether it's worth it and whether the extra trouble has any real payoff, and also whether it is really what you want to do or should be doing for the sake of the project. Projects go faster if a person works on one job at a time until it is finished, as Jan says. If you spread your person across A, B and C, then it must increase the duration of A, or make it take longer than it should/could, so this just delays the point at which person can give full attention to B and C.

I would not do the assignment as percentages. If you are going that far then you may as well input the specific number of hours for each day (task usage view), and if you are doing that then the next step is to specify which particular hours (and minutes) in the day they are going to be. As Jan says, "resource per resource, task by task" and also hour by hour and minute by minute. It's all manual and the more manual it becomes the less automatic calculation you can take advantage of, and the maintenance requirement goes up. Remember, you have to track this later. It also creates problems for leveling.

Thursday, November 8, 2012 10:02 PM
  • First of all, thanks for the answers, it's very helpfull.

I think I'll have to give more explanations about this project. I'm a student in an artistic school (CGI animation) and we are only 5 students working on making a short movie. We got 10 months left for our project and we have to plan as perfect as possible to get enough time to do a great (perfect) job. We got a LOT of tasks to do and not as much time as we need, so we have to get people working on many tasks at the same time (some tasks need to be well advanced to be able to begin new tasks).

I'm in charge of this organization and I'll do my best to assign less tasks possible on one person at the same time.  I know that it's not optimized for a person to work on multiple tasks but we have no choice, we can't let someone working alone during 90 days on a task without help at some point (and we can't be 3 working on the same task for 30 days). Here's the deal and that's why I need to be able to switch people between tasks which happen at the same time.

If you have any ideas about how to manage this project differently, I'll be very happy to read them.

Thanks and have a nice day/night (depending on where you're living)

Baptiste.

Thursday, November 8, 2012 11:40 PM