Anyone having problems w/Vista dual monitor & sleep mode? RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi,

My Vista install has been very stable and without major issues (but a number of minor ones). Every morning I would hit my spacebar and a few seconds later, I'm up. Recently, I connected another monitor on my motherboard (it has a vga & a dvi port) and extended the desktop accordingly, no problems but one.

Now when coming out of sleep mode, the monitors remain black so I have to 'reset' and the 'resume' process takes much longer to boot. The video is NVidia GForce 6150. I cycle the power on the monitors -that's doesn't work.

I might try turning off one monitor at night and see if that helps.

Any clues, anyone?

Thanks, Timboe

Thursday, August 2, 2007 12:56 AM

All replies

• I am having a similar problem. I'm on a Dell Latitude D820 with the Quadro NVS board. Vista Ultimate.

I frequently use dual monitor. Occasionally, when I disconnect the external monitor, the screen on the laptop goes black... except for the cursor! I can see the mouse cursor, but the rest is completely black. If I turn on the 2nd monitor, I get the same effect also on the second monitor. Dual monitor, both black, but the mouse cursor displays fine on both.

I eventually have to do a hard reset to solve this, turning off the laptop.

When I do it, by pressing the on/off button, the screen lights up, showing my windows, and then... it shuts down.

This is driving me nuts.

Note:

- I have always updated AV, Defender, and anti-spyware software

- I have all the updates installed, and the most recent dell drivers

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Saturday, January 5, 2008 12:20 AM
  • have a read here about sp1 doing this or at least not fixing this...

http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsVista/en/library/b984ce70-701b-4565-868e-51d1ba47555d1033.mspx?mfr=true
    Saturday, January 5, 2008 8:15 PM
  •  

I've been using Windows Vista SP1 RC1 since it came out. The problem existed before, and exists now.

I've also found that apparently this situation only happens when the external monitor has a different resolution from my laptops'.

Saturday, January 26, 2008 10:02 PM
  • I have this problem as well, Dell Precision 490 workstation (not a laptop), running 32-bit Vista Ultimate with SP1 (I'm an MSDN subscriber), ATI FireGL V4300 with the latest drivers (December 2007), with two Dell 2001FP monitors, both DVI-attached.  Both resolutions are 1600x1200.  Coming out of suspend, monitor #2 never "wakes up".

I've found I can "wake it up" by changing the resolution on the "sleeping" monitor to anything else (I do 1280x1024), and once it turns on I switch the resolution right back again.  To change the monitor resolution I right-click the desktop on monitor #1 and choose personalize - for some reason that personalize window always comes up on the "asleep" screen, so I have to press Alt+Spacebar, M (move), hold down left arrow until the window slides over to the awake monitor.

Certainly not a fix, but it saves me from having to reset.

UPDATE: I upgraded my video card to an Nvidia Quadro FX 1700 and this problem has completely gone away.  

Sunday, February 24, 2008 3:31 AM
  • I can't get my Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo laptop to wake up my Samsung monitor after sleep either. I've tried every combination of states before entering sleep, but restart is the only way. I'm not sure which action causes all my desktop icons to lose their position, but that's just another annoyance. Changing resolutions doesn't wake the Samsung either.

Saturday, March 22, 2008 2:06 AM
  • We are having the exact same problem. We uses Fujitsu-Siemens Lifebook S6410 and when we undock them and then inserts them into the docking station again the external screen doesn´t appear until we have opened the screen of the laptop.

This is annoying because when you close the laptop screen again it goes down in sleep mode. But then you click on the power button on teh docking station the screen appears as it should.

Wednesday, April 2, 2008 1:55 PM
  • I'm having the same problem on a Dell 4600 with VISTA and SP1.
    This is driving me mad, if I can't figure it out soon it's going to be the final straw that makes me reinstall XP.
    Sunday, April 27, 2008 3:17 PM
  • I have a variation of this problem. My dual monitor system won't enter sleep mode and I can't figure out why. It was fine before I added the second monitor. Vista 64 (Ultimate) SP1 running two monitors at different resolutions. I'm on a desktop machine, so I would like it to sleep at some point.  Maybe we are all seeing different sides of the same bug.

Thursday, June 12, 2008 2:20 AM
  • Have the same problem too using NVidia latest drivers. Hangs after sleeping for a long time. Short sleeps it will come out of. Monitors are different resolutions.

One of Vista's many short comings MS is in denial about.

Friday, June 13, 2008 2:58 AM
  • After solving the sleep problem I noted above, I now have the problem. Nvdia 9600GT, one 24in widescreen monitor at 1900x1200 and one 21in monitor (1600x1200). Running Vista64 (U). So far I've noticed this problem when the machine wakes itself up (to perform a scheduled task). Niether monitor returns and there is no keyboard input that will wake up the monitors.

I am able to return from sleep mode completely if I initiate the wake action from the power button on the comptuer. It sure would be nice if MS monitored these boards and provided some feedback.

Monday, June 16, 2008 9:27 PM
  •  

I'm having this problem too.

It get's even worse. Now and then I'd be busy working on my computer and then all of a sudden both monitors will go black with just the mouse cursor showing. After about 20 seconds all returns to normal. Sometimes when this happens I get a message stating that the display driver stopped functioning. Strange since I have installed the manufacturers drivers for Vista and have later updated them via Windows Update.

I'm running Vista 64bit Business edition with SP1 installed on a Dell Optiplex 755. The display adapter is an ATI Radeon HD 2400 Pro.

It would be nice if someone at Microsoft could actually respond to this thread, even if only to say the issue is being addressed.

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 1:10 PM
  • I am having this problem too on a lenovo T61p with a NVIDIA Quatro FX 570M Vista SP1.  If anyone finds a solution it would be great if you voulf post it back here.

Pete

Tuesday, October 7, 2008 4:19 PM
  •  

I have this problem also!  It's been driving me crazy trying to figure out what is causing it!  For me both monitors for go black for a few seconds then return to normal.  It may do this a few times in a row, then it won't happen for days!  I have the latest drivers from ATI so I don't know what to try?  If I disable the second monitor, the problem never comes back.

I'm running Vista 32bit and haven't installed SP1.  I have a 24 inch, and a 22 inch monitor hooked up to an ATI HD 2900 Pro.

Does anyone know what causes the problem?

Thursday, November 27, 2008 2:40 AM