How can i search for contents of a file with no extension in Windows 7? RRS feed

Answers

• The only thing I could figure out for this was a free third party solution found here:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/searchmyfiles-x64.zip  

This is the only way I have been able to search for a string of text within an "extentionless" file. 

Nate

• Marked as answer by TacticalN8 Monday, February 18, 2013 12:54 PM
    Monday, February 18, 2013 12:54 PM

All replies

• In Windows XP & Vista you used to be able to add a DWORD value named FilterFilesWithUnknownExtension with a value of 1 in:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet\Control\ContentIndex

But this no longer works in Windows 7 or 8.  I never dreamt that Microsoft would have excluded this.  I desperately need a fix for this.  I'm even open to using 3rd party applications if I have to.

Nate

Friday, January 25, 2013 6:13 PM
  • Hi,

I am able to search the files with no extension on my test machine. Is the folder included in index locations? If it already in it, remove the location and add it again. You can rebuilt the index and see if it helps.

More information:

Improve Windows searches using the index: frequently asked questions

Change advanced indexing options

Tracy Cai

TechNet Community Support

Monday, January 28, 2013 2:43 AM
  • Hi Traci,

The folder that I'm trying to search is a network share on another file server.  Can I Index a directory on another server? 

Nate

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 12:27 PM
  • Hi,

You can include the network folder in your library. Indexed locations include all folders included in libraries.

Tracy Cai

TechNet Community Support

Friday, February 1, 2013 8:26 AM
  • Hi Tracy,

I tried this but it still isn't working for me.  So far this is what I've done:

1. right-clicked on the network folder and selected "always available offline."

2. Created a new library and added the network folder to it.

3. Went under index options and selected "rebuild index."

4. verified that search file properties and contents was selected.

Any thoughts?

Nate

Friday, February 1, 2013 12:14 PM
  • Hi Tracy,

I tried this but it still isn't working for me.  So far this is what I've done:

1. right-clicked on the network folder and selected "always available offline."

2. Created a new library and added the network folder to it.

3. Went under index options and selected "rebuild index."

4. verified that search file properties and contents was selected.

Any thoughts?

Nate

Basically I have a network file named "CNC Programs".  This folder stores programs that we use on our cnc machines. (we're in the manufacturing industry.)  The programs that our machines use do not have file extensions. (i.e. they are named something like this: O51234M)

The search for files with extensions work fine.  It is these extensionless files that are the problem.  For example, we need to be able to search for a line in one of these programs that is something like: G97S300M4

This always worked fine with XP, but now that we have rolled out Windows 7 on all computers we are in a jam.  This is hurting productivity.

Nate

Friday, February 1, 2013 12:20 PM
  • The only thing I could figure out for this was a free third party solution found here:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/searchmyfiles-x64.zip  

This is the only way I have been able to search for a string of text within an "extentionless" file. 

Nate

• Marked as answer by TacticalN8 Monday, February 18, 2013 12:54 PM
    Monday, February 18, 2013 12:54 PM