window server 2016 domain server D drive not accessible RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all, 

recently i setup the window server 2016 as my domain server. unfortunately my D drive is not accessible even login as local administrator. Do you have any idea to give the permission to access my D drive?

Tuesday, February 27, 2018 1:29 PM

All replies

• I'd take ownership. 

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff404240.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, February 27, 2018 2:00 PM
  • Hi Dave Patrick,

The D drive current owner is system. i has been follow the instruction from the article, it will prompt me window security as below picture to confirm. when i click on yes, it will prompt me "unable to set new owner on local disk (D:). access is denied" 

Tuesday, February 27, 2018 3:14 PM
  • What is the history? Has it ever worked? Is this a fixed or removable disk? Might also try to recreate partitions on the disk.

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, February 27, 2018 3:22 PM
  • while do the installation, i has been create 2 partition that is C drive and D drive. all the window setup in C drive only. After complete the installation, i never use the D drive. This window is use for domain active directory. all the domain setup and pc joined complete, i just want to use D drive. that time only aware on this drive is not accessible. Even i try to delete the partition and create new drive also facing same issue. This is a fixed disk on server. 

thank & Regard Jason Leong

Tuesday, February 27, 2018 6:01 PM
  • You might also try via elevated cmd.exe diskpart and clean the disk. If no go; also is this a physical or virtual installation? If the latter is the disk carved up in windows or the hypervisor? (note: the latter would be advisable) I'd try removing the disk, boot windows and start disk management so it know it is gone, power down and add the disk back, boot and reinitialize the disk.

Tuesday, February 27, 2018 6:08 PM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

William

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 1, 2018 12:41 PM
  • Hi,

Just want to confirm the current situations.

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.

Best Regards,

William

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 12, 2018 1:32 AM
  • Hi All,

I has been solve my problem. this is because of im enabled the GPO under-->computer configuration--> policies-->administrative template-->system-->removable storage access-->all removable storage classes: deny all access.

thank & Regard Jason Leong

• Proposed as answer by NinoRCTN Thursday, June 28, 2018 6:54 AM
    Saturday, April 14, 2018 12:14 PM
  • Thank, for this, I face same this issue and I fix it after remove Removeable storage access from GPO.

Monday, November 12, 2018 12:14 AM