none
Sysprep limit - some questions RRS feed

• Question

• Is there any way to avoid the sysprep limit? Is there an option in the unattend file?

Should I not have registered Windows? I don't think I was able to install (or check) for updates until I validated Windows.

I would like to keep a VM around of my basic build and run updates on that VM periodically, and then peel an image off as needed (rather than, you know, actually using MDT as it was meant). And while I realize that MDT isn't meant to be used like that, I don't see why I couldn't. Or is that the entire point? To prevent people from doing it my way?

~if this were /. this sig would be funny

Thursday, January 5, 2017 7:11 PM

Answers

• Use a checkpoint that is always before SYSPREP.  Whenever you do your updates you can then create another checkpoint (still before you ever SYSPREP).

Many questions such as where do I find logs and what logs are interesting are found in: MDT TechNet Forum - FAQ & Getting Started Guide Please take the time to read it. Also if you don't post logs your problem won't be easily solved.

Thursday, January 5, 2017 7:22 PM

All replies

• Use a checkpoint that is always before SYSPREP.  Whenever you do your updates you can then create another checkpoint (still before you ever SYSPREP).

Many questions such as where do I find logs and what logs are interesting are found in: MDT TechNet Forum - FAQ & Getting Started Guide Please take the time to read it. Also if you don't post logs your problem won't be easily solved.

Thursday, January 5, 2017 7:22 PM
  • ok, so my assumption is that the checkpoint captures and restores that Sysprep count? Just so I'm clear... the steps would be to build the image, get everything the way i want it and create the first checkpoint as a "pristine" configuration. Then i can sysprep and capture and whatever else. Then a few months down the line, i need to update the VM, so i log in, restore that initial check point, do any updates, then make a new checkpoint at THAT point which will be the updated "pristine" check point for my next update.

Thursday, January 5, 2017 7:52 PM
  • Pretty much exactly :)

Thursday, January 5, 2017 10:24 PM
  • ok, thanks! i've been trying to figure out MDT and it would be great to have a comprehensive guide. initially it was a 20somethign piece by Mitch McCollum which was very helpful, but there are other practical things scattered around that you just have to piece together.

appreciate the help.

Thursday, January 5, 2017 10:53 PM
  • This is still mostly valid:
    http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles-tutorials/windows-7/Deploying-Windows-7-Part5.html

Johan also had MDT 2010 unleashed which is also still mostly valid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aV_BgBXp47k

Thursday, January 5, 2017 11:14 PM
  • ahh yes, that's the Mitch i was referring to - screwed up the last name :)

and yeah i've come across a bunch of Arwidmarks material. i think i'm still just kinda green with the best practices and such.

thanks again!

Friday, January 6, 2017 1:59 PM