How Do You PERMANENTLY Disable ALL Auto Formatting in Word 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• ( Since no other forums seem to be able to answer this question that is of concerns to many of our Microsoft Word Users, I thought I'd try posting it here to the Super Users ... I apologize in advance if I've posted this question in the wrong forum.)

Honestly, all of us here at work waste more productive time every day struggling to UNDO all of the endless "Auto Formatting" mandates that Microsoft insists on forcing down our throats [whether we want them or not], that we're starting to loose it. Is there any clearly defined way to PERMANENTLY turn them ALL OFF .... ?

Even when we go into the WORD OPTIONS --> PROOFING and turn each and every one of those Auto Formatting annoyances off... they just wont' PERMANENTLY go away ! Even on the open document.  Whether it's changing the spacing between paragraphs / or font style / or margin setting.. you name it... they just won't go away. And then we have no other choice but to go and spend endless time trying to get the document the way "we" want it to look... and as soon as we do that... some other part of the document gets it's formatting screwed up.

What are we doing wrong ? Is it something with a template or other file or what ? This Auto Formatting is driving us crazy !

Friday, September 13, 2013 3:17 PM

Answers

• Autoformatting usually refers to the "AutoFormat As You Type" settings in the Options dialog box (in Word 2007, click the Office button; then click Word Options, Proofing, AutoCorrect Options and finally AutoFormat As You Type). Turning these options off should be straightforward.

Paragraph spacing applied as you press Enter comes from the default setting of the Normal template. To change these defaults: In the Styles pane (Ctrl+Alt+Shift+S), click the Manage Styles icon. On the Set Defaults tab, make the desired changes. For example, set Spacing After and Spacing Before to zero, and change the font and line spacing to suit your needs. Before clicking OK, select "New documents based on this template." Later, if/when you are prompted to save the Normal template, choose to do so.

Alternatively, you may prefer to set up a specific template which meets the requirements of your organization.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP

• Marked as answer by Tony Chen CHN Monday, September 16, 2013 6:18 AM
    Friday, September 13, 2013 9:21 PM

All replies

• Autoformatting usually refers to the "AutoFormat As You Type" settings in the Options dialog box (in Word 2007, click the Office button; then click Word Options, Proofing, AutoCorrect Options and finally AutoFormat As You Type). Turning these options off should be straightforward.

Paragraph spacing applied as you press Enter comes from the default setting of the Normal template. To change these defaults: In the Styles pane (Ctrl+Alt+Shift+S), click the Manage Styles icon. On the Set Defaults tab, make the desired changes. For example, set Spacing After and Spacing Before to zero, and change the font and line spacing to suit your needs. Before clicking OK, select "New documents based on this template." Later, if/when you are prompted to save the Normal template, choose to do so.

Alternatively, you may prefer to set up a specific template which meets the requirements of your organization.

• Marked as answer by Tony Chen CHN Monday, September 16, 2013 6:18 AM
    Friday, September 13, 2013 9:21 PM
  • I have Word 2016, and no, I'm sorry, but disabling any feature of automatic formatting for documents is never straightforward and the number of options for composing and editing makes this program useless for me.
    Wednesday, May 17, 2017 5:31 PM
  • See http://wordfaqs.ssbarnhill.com/TameAutoFormat.htm.

Thursday, May 18, 2017 1:23 AM