No changes reflectiong after Processing Cube after deployment RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I have created ssas cube in sql server 2012 and deployed on my server.

I am using SSDT to design and deploy ssas cube.

After deploying I am using SSIS task Analysis service process task to keep processing my cube data with 'Process Full' option.but when I change my customer dimension where in I add more attributes to my customer dimension in SSDT dimension designer and rebuild my project,I am not able to see the changes while browsing cube in ssms although I run SSISpackage to do full process.Do I need to redeploy and do cube full processing?
    if that is the case then what is the meaning of  running SSIS Analysis service process task manually or through Sql Agent on schedule?which I feel should take the changes which are done in SSDT designer.

I tried manual cube  processing in ssms also but these new attributes of customer dimension in not seen in browser.

Need to understand various process option that  takes effect after deploying cube that can effect automatically on client side.

srm_2010

Saturday, May 20, 2017 11:39 AM

Answers

• Do I need to redeploy and do cube full processing?

Yes, anytime you make a structural change to your cube (such as adding new attributes) you need to re-deploy that new design to the server then re-process to bring in the data. Deploying is the act of sending the structure or you cube to the server. Processing tells the server to retrieve the data from the data source(s) and load that structure.

if that is the case then what is the meaning of  running SSIS Analysis service process task manually or through Sql Agent on schedule?which I feel should take the changes which are done in SSDT designer.

The purpose of the processing command is to load data from your data source(s) into the cube. Once a cube is deployed the usual practice is to process it on a regular basis (a common scenario is for people to process their cubes each night) so that the cube always has up to date information available.

http://darren.gosbell.com - please mark correct answers

Monday, May 22, 2017 3:47 AM
  • Hi Srm_2010,

Thanks for your question.

In your scenario, you would have to redploy this SSAS database in SSDT, and do a processing full for this SSAS database.

Deploying an Analysis Services project in SSDT creates the defined objects(metadata) in an instance of Analysis Services. Processing the objects in an instance of Analysis Services copies the data(no metadata) from the underlying data sources into the cube objects. 

For information about various processing option, please refer to Processing Options and Settings (Analysis Services).

Best Regards
    Willson Yuan
    MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Monday, May 22, 2017 3:56 AM

All replies

• Do I need to redeploy and do cube full processing?

Yes, anytime you make a structural change to your cube (such as adding new attributes) you need to re-deploy that new design to the server then re-process to bring in the data. Deploying is the act of sending the structure or you cube to the server. Processing tells the server to retrieve the data from the data source(s) and load that structure.

The purpose of the processing command is to load data from your data source(s) into the cube. Once a cube is deployed the usual practice is to process it on a regular basis (a common scenario is for people to process their cubes each night) so that the cube always has up to date information available.

http://darren.gosbell.com - please mark correct answers

Monday, May 22, 2017 3:47 AM
  • Hi Srm_2010,

Thanks for your question.

In your scenario, you would have to redploy this SSAS database in SSDT, and do a processing full for this SSAS database.

Deploying an Analysis Services project in SSDT creates the defined objects(metadata) in an instance of Analysis Services. Processing the objects in an instance of Analysis Services copies the data(no metadata) from the underlying data sources into the cube objects. 

For information about various processing option, please refer to Processing Options and Settings (Analysis Services).

Best Regards
    Willson Yuan
    MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Monday, May 22, 2017 3:56 AM