User deleting without having (apparent) delete permissions RRS feed

• Question

• Yesterday a user where I work deleted 4 Announcements.  She should not have been able to do this.  I double checked permissions for this list and she is not in any groups that would have delete permissions.  I cannot figure out how this happened.  I would appreciated any ideas on this.  Is there a way to track global changes in permissions?
    There are no mistakes; every result tells you something of value about what you are trying to accomplish.
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 3:40 PM

Answers

• Hi run4it,

Please try the following steps to check whether the user has permission to delete the Announcement items.

1.       Go to Site Actions->Site Settings->People and Groups, check all groups in the Quick Launch, whether the user is in any of the group, if so, find the user group, and the group permission on the site.

2.       Check whether there is NT AUTHORITY\authenticated users in any of the group, and the group permission on the site.

3.       If the site can be access anonymous, please go to Announcement list settings->permission for this list->Settings->Anonymous Access, check what anonymous can do.

4.       Go to the Announcement list with other Accounts that not in the permission group, check what they can do.

As to track changes on permission, SharePoint provide Auditing Permission Changes on site collection:

1.       Click Site Actions->Site Settings->Modify All Site Settings at the site collection root site.

2.       Click Site Collection audit settings

3.       Select Editing Users and permissions option

4.       Then when permissions on sites are changes, we can see it through Audit log reports: click Audit log reports on the Site Settings page for the site collection, click Security Settings.

Here is an article about this, you can refer to it for more information:
    http://nickgrattan.wordpress.com/2007/11/27/auditing-permission-changes/

Thanks,
    Qiao

Friday, October 21, 2011 3:24 AM
  • Hi,

You need to check her effective permissions. You can use Security report account functionality of AdminToolkit.

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=14227

I hope this will help you out.

Thanks, Rahul Rashu
    Monday, October 24, 2011 1:37 PM

All replies

• Hi run4it,

Please try the following steps to check whether the user has permission to delete the Announcement items.

1.       Go to Site Actions->Site Settings->People and Groups, check all groups in the Quick Launch, whether the user is in any of the group, if so, find the user group, and the group permission on the site.

2.       Check whether there is NT AUTHORITY\authenticated users in any of the group, and the group permission on the site.

3.       If the site can be access anonymous, please go to Announcement list settings->permission for this list->Settings->Anonymous Access, check what anonymous can do.

4.       Go to the Announcement list with other Accounts that not in the permission group, check what they can do.

As to track changes on permission, SharePoint provide Auditing Permission Changes on site collection:

1.       Click Site Actions->Site Settings->Modify All Site Settings at the site collection root site.

2.       Click Site Collection audit settings

3.       Select Editing Users and permissions option

4.       Then when permissions on sites are changes, we can see it through Audit log reports: click Audit log reports on the Site Settings page for the site collection, click Security Settings.

Here is an article about this, you can refer to it for more information:
    http://nickgrattan.wordpress.com/2007/11/27/auditing-permission-changes/

Thanks,
    Qiao

Friday, October 21, 2011 3:24 AM
  • Hi,

You need to check her effective permissions. You can use Security report account functionality of AdminToolkit.

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=14227

I hope this will help you out.

Thanks, Rahul Rashu
    Monday, October 24, 2011 1:37 PM