none
Error when migrating DPM data to new disk RRS feed

• Question

• I've used "migratedatasourcedatafromdpm.ps1" in order to migrate data from an old to a new disk (DPM 2010). I can see in the diskpool that the new disk is allocated to 55% after running the script, but it ends with the following error:

PS C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\bin> .\MigrateDatasourceDataFromDPM.ps1 -d
    pmservername DPMSERVERNAME -source $disk[1] -destination $disk[0]
    WARNING:  Migration of inactive protection group is not supported
    WARNING:  Migration of inactive protection group is not supported
    Remove-DPMDisk : Disk 1 cannot be removed from the storage pool because it cont
    ains storage pool volumes. (ID: 355)
    At C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\bin\MigrateDatasourceDataFromDPM.ps1:110
    char:16
    +     Remove-DPMDisk <<<<  $Source
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Remove-DPMDisk], InvalidDiskE
       xception
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : 355,Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.
       Cmdlet.RemoveDPMDisk

What to do now? Should I ignore this error and simply remove the old disk after the end of the retention time set? Or will DPM continue to write data to the old disk as of this error?

/Amir

Wednesday, October 16, 2013 8:06 AM

Answers

• Hi,

DPM will potentially continue to use the old disk until it is removed from the DPM Storage pool.

You can remove disks from the DPM storage pool anytime without effecting current protection.  That will prevent DPM from using it in the future.

Run this DPM Powershell script: get-dpmdisk –dpmservername <dpmserver>

Get the ntdiskID number matching the one you want to remove, then run this SQL Script from SQL management studio.

Use DPMDB
    update tbl_SPM_Disk
    set isinStoragepool = 0
    where NTDiskNumber = #  -- where # is the ntdiskID from the get-dpmdisk output

Verify it is no longer in the DPM Storage pool in the DPMGUI (You may need to close and re-open the console)

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, October 17, 2013 4:08 PM

All replies

• Hi,

DPM will potentially continue to use the old disk until it is removed from the DPM Storage pool.

You can remove disks from the DPM storage pool anytime without effecting current protection.  That will prevent DPM from using it in the future.

Run this DPM Powershell script: get-dpmdisk –dpmservername <dpmserver>

Get the ntdiskID number matching the one you want to remove, then run this SQL Script from SQL management studio.

Use DPMDB
    update tbl_SPM_Disk
    set isinStoragepool = 0
    where NTDiskNumber = #  -- where # is the ntdiskID from the get-dpmdisk output

Verify it is no longer in the DPM Storage pool in the DPMGUI (You may need to close and re-open the console)

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, October 17, 2013 4:08 PM
  • Thank you Mike. However I was unable to run the script due to a permission problem when loggning in into Management Studio, so I simply removed the disk from the DPM diskpool and now everything seems to work fine.

/Amir

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 7:26 AM