none
Is it possible to link data across different/multiple PWA sites leveraging Master Project with the Subprojects feature? RRS feed

All replies

• kbwrecker --

I think you are making this way too hard, as the answer to questions #1 and #2 are both No.  What I would recommend you do is to create a single Project Server 2010 instance for everyone, and then control what your President and your VPs can see using custom security Groups and Categories.  This way, you can have a single master project in one Project Server 2010 instance, and your executives can see what they need to see.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Tuesday, June 17, 2014 4:27 PM
  • Questions 1/2 was a recommended to us by a MS PFE - we were having difficulties implementing it and kept getting nothing so I came here

We currently have a single project server instance and all our permissoins are setup with custom security groups and categories (users can only see their designated projects) - but the issue comes with sharing projects between departments(categories). 

Basically this user's post (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/c73324a3-a8d5-40ff-8ea6-192187009f57/msp-server-2010-can-users-dynamically-access-data-across-multiple-categories-using-the-rbs-lookup?forum=projserv2010setup)

We can't seem to get the permissions correct we feel the requirements set forth by our stakeholders are holding us back to fully implement sharing.  Basically the requirements are

1) Dept/Category data should be separate
    2) No resource loading of projects
    3) If they need to share data they need to allow for dynamic project sharing (preferrably by an automated process (which we have not yet seen nor found))

Any help or best path forward would be highly appreciated ...

Wednesday, June 18, 2014 7:51 PM
  • kbwrecker,

I agree with Dale. Having multiple sites will make this difficult to set up. 

Not knowing how your Custom Groups/Categories have been set up, have you looked into using the "Project Permissions" feature to share projects. These permissions are 'additive' to the category permissions, so you could start out with people looking at the projects they are authorized to via categories, and then let them share/add people as needed basis. This will also satisfy the requirement of not-loading the projects with resources..

And finally, the department and categories need not align, except that when projects from one dept are shared t another dept resource, the visibility of custom fieds will be affected.

Hope I did not go off on a tangent there :)

Prasanna Adavi,PMP,MCTS,MCITP,MCT TWitter: @prasannaadavi Blog: http://www.prasannaadavi.com

Wednesday, June 18, 2014 7:58 PM
  • kbwrecker,

I agree with Dale. Having multiple sites will make this difficult to set up. 

Not knowing how your Custom Groups/Categories have been set up, have you looked into using the "Project Permissions" feature to share projects. These permissions are 'additive' to the category permissions, so you could start out with people looking at the projects they are authorized to via categories, and then let them share/add people as needed basis. This will also satisfy the requirement of not-loading the projects with resources..

And finally, the department and categories need not align, except that when projects from one dept are shared t another dept resource, the visibility of custom fieds will be affected.

Hope I did not go off on a tangent there :)

Prasanna Adavi,PMP,MCTS,MCITP,MCT TWitter: @prasannaadavi Blog: http://www.prasannaadavi.com

Meant to get back to this earlier - your answer is close (because its what we currently do..sort-of)

From my understanding of this issue the users are separated by department and can only see specific projects; however, when they try to share departments between users (so they can see their projects (dept a sees dept b projects)) this works - but there is a bigger issue/main issue.  

main issue: when dept B adds a new project dept. A cannot see the new project in dept B.

This can be eliviated by removing the user/s and re-adding them to the permission structure of the deptment but overall doing this several times based on user/s and projects being added it gets to be cumbersome and just plain annoying.

Any help/additional thoughts would be great

Wednesday, July 2, 2014 11:36 AM
  • kbwrecker,

First off, the "Departments" feature and the ability to see projects are not connected at all. Departments do not control the visibility of projects. It is controlled by Security groups and categories.

What seems to me is that your security category is set up to filter projects by RBS. There are several ways to handle this, depending upon your requirements. Couple of examples would be

• create two separate views called My projects and All projects, and open up the All projects view to show all projects
    • Set up the MY projects category to allow projects based on team membership into that project. So, in your case a PM from Dept B needs to add user from Dept A, and publish the project, and viola, the user from Dept A can see the project now.

Hope this helps.

Wednesday, July 2, 2014 3:22 PM
  • We are using RBS values along with categories and groups to filter projects

Are you suggesting to use resource loading ? This goes back to the NO resource loading requirement - stated in a previous post.

Can you give an example (in Project/PWA) how the second example would be accomplished without resource loading?

Thank you again for your continued help and assistance, it is much appreciated

Wednesday, July 2, 2014 3:46 PM
  • Well, the word 'resource loading' the schedule, to me means actually assigning the tasks to resources. You do not need to do that for visibility. You can just control by adding people to the "Team" of the project, and publishing the project. The security category will need to have the box (highlighted) checked.

The other alternative, like I mentioned in my previous post is to use Project Permissions

The only downside is that both of these controls are manual. Personally, I think that is better. 

Cheers,

Prasanna Adavi, Project MVP

Blog:   Podcast:    Twitter:    LinkedIn:   

Wednesday, July 2, 2014 6:09 PM
  • Thanks Prasanna - we thought there might have been a dynamic way to accomplish this....

The other issue is that MS only gives you the ability to have one RBS value per person.. which could also possibly solve this but I do not believe this will happen.

Thanks again I really do appreciate all the time and help

I'll mark you, Dale, and myself as the answer - since there is no answer (unless something else gets posted...)

Wednesday, July 2, 2014 6:47 PM
  • No problem. Personally, I solved the issue by using the "My projects" vs "All projects" views, so that they can toggle back and forth, and it is dynamic. The "My projects" can use the RBS as filter, where "All projects" is just that, all projects without any filters.

Have you considered that?

Cheers,

Prasanna Adavi, Project MVP

Blog:   Podcast:    Twitter:    LinkedIn:   

Wednesday, July 2, 2014 7:09 PM