none
SBS 2008 VHDX files saved on a USB Drive created using Disk2VHD are not accessible

Question

• Hi Team:

Source Server SBS 2008:

Want to Try Out the capability/ possibility to "Virtualize SBS 2008 or 2011 and run it as a virtual machine on Hyper-V server". Used Disk2vhd - Windows Sysinternals to save SBS 2008 (physical Drive C and Drive D) to VHDX files on a USB Drive connected to the SBS 2008.  Two VHDX files were successfully created and these files were accessible on SBS 2008. 

Other Server:

Disconnected  the USB drive from the source server and connected to an other server to view/ process these files to create virtual machine. These files were not accessible. Error Msg:

1. Location is not avaialable
    2. Access is denied
    3. Drive is not Accessible.

Removed and reconnected the drive to the Source SBS 2008. Error was reported on the drive but the server was able to correct the error and the drive was again accessible!

Not sure the reason of this behaviour. How can test/ try  to "Virtualize SBS 2008 or 2011 and run it as a virtual machine on Hyper-V server" if one cannot access/ process VHDX created above on a different Hardware/ Server!

Your thiughts/ suggestions will be greatly appreciated!!

Mohindar

• Edited by Mohindar Wednesday, November 21, 2018 5:48 AM
    Wednesday, November 21, 2018 5:46 AM

Answers

• Hi Andy:

Thanks for your response!

The issue was viewing VHDX files using windows explorer. Not sure why, but when tried to access the usb drive containing these files I got the following errors.

2. Access is denied

However, these files were accessible/ usable through Hyper-V Manager. I was able to create a VM using VHDX files in question!

Thank you for your time!

Mohindar

• Marked as answer by Mohindar Monday, November 26, 2018 11:32 PM
    Thursday, November 22, 2018 11:11 PM

All replies

• I am researching your question ,thanks for your waiting .

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 21, 2018 3:45 PM
  • hi,
    you can refer this document first.
    Step-By-Step: Migrating Physical Servers to Virtual Machines
    https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/blainbar/2014/09/09/step-by-step-migrating-physical-servers-to-virtual-machines-blain-barton/

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 22, 2018 3:51 PM
  • Hi Andy:

Thanks for your response!

The issue was viewing VHDX files using windows explorer. Not sure why, but when tried to access the usb drive containing these files I got the following errors.

2. Access is denied

However, these files were accessible/ usable through Hyper-V Manager. I was able to create a VM using VHDX files in question!

Thank you for your time!

Mohindar

• Marked as answer by Mohindar Monday, November 26, 2018 11:32 PM
    Thursday, November 22, 2018 11:11 PM
  • hi,
    The issue seems from drive permission .
    you can try to re-give the local administrator full control permission for usb drive on destination server.

Sunday, November 25, 2018 3:17 PM