Taskbar notifications icons RRS feed

• Question

• It seems that the icons in the taskbar have a mind of their own this was also an anoying issue in vista for instance I use on screen notification of keyboard state, even from start up doesn't show this so I can't see the state of say caps, or number locks. I have checked the customise window and it indicates that these items should be showing. It may be a driver issue with the keyboard but there are other progs that are also likewise.
    Maybe I haven't ticked the right box somewhere any feedback appreciated.
    Davey
    Friday, July 17, 2009 8:46 AM

Answers

• hi JJTech
    I run a multi boot with vista and windows 7 and the behaviour seems to be similar sometimes it shows sometimes not, it might be the keyboard I hadn't thought of that so thanks but if it is then, what about other start up programs with icons intermitently appear or not at start up, even my internet connection which clearly is working as I use weather gadgets etc do not show this does seem to be more of a problem in windows 7 than vista at the mo so I wondered if I hadn't turned on something. I think windows 7 is great and never want to go back to vista I've ordered my prof copy etc just wondered if it's a start up issue.

Davey
    Hey Davey, if your keyboard is damaged it might be sending either mixed or wrong signels to the motherboard and causing it to do hot keys which can either close programs or hide and show things on the fly, First thing i would do if i were you is try a different keyboard and if these problems persist then it may lay else where like your motherboard(cross your fingers its just the keyboard) the best way to tell is if you plug it into a different computer and see if it acts the same as the one your on either that or use a different keyboard and see if you get the same problems. And I Skipped over Vista right to w7 RC :)
    • Proposed as answer by JJTech Friday, July 17, 2009 11:39 AM
    • Marked as answer by Robinson Zhang Monday, July 27, 2009 7:53 AM
    Friday, July 17, 2009 11:39 AM

All replies

• what kind of keyboard are you using and are you using vista drivers on w7?
    Friday, July 17, 2009 8:55 AM
  • It's a HP keyboard using divers from windows 7 as hp driver will not load. This prob also happens in other applications, likee it's intermitent
    Davey
    Friday, July 17, 2009 9:22 AM
  • It's a HP keyboard using divers from windows 7 as hp driver will not load. This prob also happens in other applications, likee it's intermitent
    Davey
    how long have you had this keyboard? have you tested it out on another computer to see if it may just be the keyboard itself? and have you or anyone else ever spilled liquids or sticky stuff on it?
    Friday, July 17, 2009 9:26 AM
  • hi JJTech
    I run a multi boot with vista and windows 7 and the behaviour seems to be similar sometimes it shows sometimes not, it might be the keyboard I hadn't thought of that so thanks but if it is then, what about other start up programs with icons intermitently appear or not at start up, even my internet connection which clearly is working as I use weather gadgets etc do not show this does seem to be more of a problem in windows 7 than vista at the mo so I wondered if I hadn't turned on something. I think windows 7 is great and never want to go back to vista I've ordered my prof copy etc just wondered if it's a start up issue.

Davey
    Friday, July 17, 2009 11:30 AM
  • hi JJTech

Davey
    Hey Davey, if your keyboard is damaged it might be sending either mixed or wrong signels to the motherboard and causing it to do hot keys which can either close programs or hide and show things on the fly, First thing i would do if i were you is try a different keyboard and if these problems persist then it may lay else where like your motherboard(cross your fingers its just the keyboard) the best way to tell is if you plug it into a different computer and see if it acts the same as the one your on either that or use a different keyboard and see if you get the same problems. And I Skipped over Vista right to w7 RC :)
    • Proposed as answer by JJTech Friday, July 17, 2009 11:39 AM
    • Marked as answer by Robinson Zhang Monday, July 27, 2009 7:53 AM
    Friday, July 17, 2009 11:39 AM
  • JJTech
    Thanks, will do.
    Davey
    Friday, July 17, 2009 1:25 PM