How to set a program to load during startup without being ask for UAC permission? RRS feed

• Question

• I am currently using Win 7 RC Build 7100 on my laptop, with a RightMark CPU Clock/Power Utility.
    I wish to use it to reduce the CPU core voltage.

The problem i face is, when i put this program in startup folder, everytime when this program load it will ask for permission.
    And when i set this program to run as admin (in startup folder), it seems never being executed during start up. I cant find it being run in task manager.

Is there anyway i can solve this problem?
    Thanks a lot for your help in advance =)

Tuesday, July 28, 2009 12:57 PM

Answers

• Here is one way you can try.. However I am not sure of the other alternatives...
    1. Open a Scheduled Task (Start Menu > Search Task Scheduler)
    2. Create a New Task
    3. Give the path to the program you want to execute
    4. Select Run with full permissions
    5. Triggers > Select "At Log On"
    6. Remove the program from startup list (using msconfig)

Hope this works...

The reason that Vista prevents programs in the startup folder from starting as Admin is that the programs start from a folder which can be written to by non-administrators also. So a malicious user(with non admin previleges) can create entries for several programs which will try to start at logon. To avoid this scenario, the programs do not start as admin from this folder.
    However, if you create a scheduled task, you are allowing the program to run with system credentials. And also note that it needs admin credentials to create schedule tasks. So malicious users (who are non-admins) cannot create scheduled tasks to run at logon..

-santhosh

• Proposed as answer by DivySharma Wednesday, July 29, 2009 6:57 AM
    • Marked as answer by Anil Inampudi Tuesday, August 4, 2009 1:30 PM
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 2:38 PM

All replies

• I have a utility that I also would like to load @ startup.

It is "Core Temp" to monitor CPU Temperatures.

Thanks also in advance.
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 2:34 PM
  • Here is one way you can try.. However I am not sure of the other alternatives...
    1. Open a Scheduled Task (Start Menu > Search Task Scheduler)
    2. Create a New Task
    3. Give the path to the program you want to execute
    4. Select Run with full permissions
    5. Triggers > Select "At Log On"
    6. Remove the program from startup list (using msconfig)

Hope this works...

The reason that Vista prevents programs in the startup folder from starting as Admin is that the programs start from a folder which can be written to by non-administrators also. So a malicious user(with non admin previleges) can create entries for several programs which will try to start at logon. To avoid this scenario, the programs do not start as admin from this folder.
    However, if you create a scheduled task, you are allowing the program to run with system credentials. And also note that it needs admin credentials to create schedule tasks. So malicious users (who are non-admins) cannot create scheduled tasks to run at logon..

-santhosh

• Proposed as answer by DivySharma Wednesday, July 29, 2009 6:57 AM
    • Marked as answer by Anil Inampudi Tuesday, August 4, 2009 1:30 PM
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 2:38 PM
  • -santosh

I tired your suggestion and it works so long as I have the User Account Control set to "Never Notify."

I am using Windows 7 RC.

Thank You for the suggestion, although it would be nice if it worked with the "User Account Control set to the suggested default.

I tried it with the UAC set to all available positions and the only one that worked was "Never Notify."

-FFL
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 3:51 PM
  • i get the logic, but some how i cant get it work as well. but at least i know how the mechanism works. thanks ya Santhosh!

Tuesday, July 28, 2009 5:37 PM