MOSS always asks for Credentials when browsing a SharePoint subsite RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Using MOSS 2003, I created a site (subsite) below  a main SharePoint site. In this subsite, I add members (readers) which are not declared in the main site for confidentiality, so they view only information declared in this subsite ; SharePoint allow this configuration.

This issue I have is the following : each time members browse each directory of the subsite, a popup is raised asking them for login/password, and furthermore, they have to enter 3 times their credentials or click on the Cancel button (1 time) to access the director.This behaviour is heavy and strange.

If members are declared in the main site, it works, but I don't want this as explained above.

Do you have an explanation and a fix on this. Thanks.

Regards

Wednesday, November 10, 2010 12:00 PM

Answers

• Let me explain what you're seeing...

1. When a user that only has membership on the sub site, accesses that site, and browse through the folders, they are prompted on every page refresh for login credentials.
    2. They have to login 3 times or click cancel to proceed.

#2 happens because the user is trying to access something on the main site, to which they do not have membership.  Because they don't have membership, SharePoint prompts for credentials allowing the user to use alternative credentials (such as an admin account etc.) to access the content.  Because the user simply re-enters their current credentials, the system re-prompts them 3 times before failing and moving on.  Of course, clicking Cancel has the same effect i.e. just moving on.  That brings us to #1.

#1 happens because on your masterpage or site page template, there's something somewhere (usually it's a reference to the company logo that was uploaded to the main site or something to that effect) that references content from the main site.  Because of this, when the user is browsing the content, SharePoint is trying to authenticate them against the main site.

The best way to identify these kinds of things is to get a tool like Fiddler2 (www.fiddler2.com) to sniff the page and look for that reference.  Once you find and remove the offending reference, your site will work flawlessly.

I trust that answers your question...

Thanks
    C

http://www.cjvandyk.com/blog
    • Marked as answer by Leoyi Sun Thursday, November 11, 2010 9:46 AM
    Wednesday, November 10, 2010 12:46 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Let me explain what you're seeing...

1. When a user that only has membership on the sub site, accesses that site, and browse through the folders, they are prompted on every page refresh for login credentials.
    2. They have to login 3 times or click cancel to proceed.

#2 happens because the user is trying to access something on the main site, to which they do not have membership.  Because they don't have membership, SharePoint prompts for credentials allowing the user to use alternative credentials (such as an admin account etc.) to access the content.  Because the user simply re-enters their current credentials, the system re-prompts them 3 times before failing and moving on.  Of course, clicking Cancel has the same effect i.e. just moving on.  That brings us to #1.

#1 happens because on your masterpage or site page template, there's something somewhere (usually it's a reference to the company logo that was uploaded to the main site or something to that effect) that references content from the main site.  Because of this, when the user is browsing the content, SharePoint is trying to authenticate them against the main site.

The best way to identify these kinds of things is to get a tool like Fiddler2 (www.fiddler2.com) to sniff the page and look for that reference.  Once you find and remove the offending reference, your site will work flawlessly.

I trust that answers your question...

Thanks
    C

http://www.cjvandyk.com/blog
    • Marked as answer by Leoyi Sun Thursday, November 11, 2010 9:46 AM
    Wednesday, November 10, 2010 12:46 PM
    Answerer
  • > Using MOSS 2003,

There is no MOSS 2003.

Do you mean

a) SPS 2003

or

b) MOSS 2007

?

2010 Books: SPF 2010; SPS 2010; SPD 2010; InfoPath 2010; Workflow etc.
    2007 Books: WSS 3.0; MOSS 2007; SPD 2007; InfoPath 2007; PerformancePoint; SSRS; Workflow
    Both lists also include books in French; German; Spanish with even more languages in the 2007 list.
    Wednesday, November 10, 2010 1:44 PM
  • Hi,

I meant SharePoint Portal Server 2003.

Regards

Wednesday, November 10, 2010 5:58 PM
  • Hi Cornelius,

Thanks for the accurate reply.

The only item I see related to the main site is the button "Up to <upper site>" at the right top corner of the page of the subsite which allow to navigate to the main site.

Do you think it could be the issue ? If yes, how can I suppress this button in the sub site ? Thanks.

Regards

Wednesday, November 10, 2010 6:10 PM