Pivot Table fails to display RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have created a pivot table and a pivot chart in Dashboard Designer.  Both retrieve data from an Analysis Services cube.

I can successfully preview the pivots when I am logged on to the server.  However, from my PC, the pivot fails to display.  The rest of my dashboard displays perfectly. 

The monitoring server has proper access rights to my cube, and I am using windows authentication to access the web service. 

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Noura

Thursday, February 21, 2008 6:24 PM

Answers

• PivotTable and PivotCharts require Office Web Components, you will need to install this on the machine you are accessing the dashboard from in order to view the reports.

If at all possible you should avoid using these report types because of their reliance on OWC. Instead you should try to use and the Analytic Chart or Analytic Grid report types instead as they do not require any extra installs on the client. I believe the OWC-based PivotCharts, PivotTables and Excel Spreadsheet report types will be deprecated in an upcoming version.

Cheers,

Nick

Thursday, February 21, 2008 9:35 PM

All replies

• PivotTable and PivotCharts require Office Web Components, you will need to install this on the machine you are accessing the dashboard from in order to view the reports.

If at all possible you should avoid using these report types because of their reliance on OWC. Instead you should try to use and the Analytic Chart or Analytic Grid report types instead as they do not require any extra installs on the client. I believe the OWC-based PivotCharts, PivotTables and Excel Spreadsheet report types will be deprecated in an upcoming version.

Cheers,

Nick

Thursday, February 21, 2008 9:35 PM
  • Hi Nick,

Thank you for that clarification.  Indeed, I prefer to use analytic charts and grids.  However, I find the built-in chart types very limiting (bar and line charts only).  To generate a pie chart from a cube, for example, is the Pivot Chart the only way to go? Also, if I deploy these Pivot Charts to Sharepoint, would this bypass the need for OWC?

In addition, I am very intrigued by this phenomenon:  the server that is running this dashboard does NOT have any Microsoft Office components installed (no Excel, no OWC, and no Sharepoint).  However, it IS possible for me to preview my Pivot Table/Chart when I am logged in to that server.  Does PerformancePoint server include a component that renders pivot tables? Is this the Excel Calculation Service of Excel Services, or something else? 

Many thanks in advance,

Noura

Friday, February 22, 2008 3:20 PM
  • If you want to generate a Pie Chart you may want to consider using Reporting Services instead. Have a read of this excellent article by Stephen Few regarding the use of pie chart; you may want to reconsider using pie charts as a result.

I would think that you have OWC loaded somewhere on the system on which you are running Dashboard Designer (probably your PC). These report types are dependant on the OWC software for development and end user interaction. When you deploy to SharePoint the need for OWC is not removed, it is required to be present on the client machine where the browser is running in order to render the report.

Cheers,

Nick

Saturday, February 23, 2008 12:00 AM
  • Hi, 

i had faced a similar issue wrt pivot charts.

If you go to Help in your internet page and check about internet explorer you'll have a version number mentioned there.

check if it ends in 2300.

If not then go to the link given by Nick for OWC and check the versions it supports.

I had changed the same and it is working perfectly for me now.

I hope it works for you also....

Monday, February 25, 2008 6:57 AM