none
IE AddIns and Windows 8.1 RRS feed

• Question

• Dear All,

I wouldn't want to rule out it is something in our environment or simply problems with the ActiveX controls and W8.1 especially as I haven't seen anyone else with similar problem but...

We publish all ActiveX controls by sequencing in 4.6SP3 and publishing IE to the Desktop with a different name for example "IE - ActiveX control 1"

We are in process of rolling out W8.1 now and I have had a play with doing the same with App-V 5.0 but was having problems. I can replicate the issue in 4.6 SP3 and on the basis that I still don't understand well enough the new workings in 5.0 am going to try to fix in 4.6 first.

The website requires Java and then at certain points it looks for Java and then installs an Applet that needs the Java.

I start monitoring, install Java using the .exe, go the site, it then prompts and installs the Applet. I finish monitoring and publish to 7 x64 and 8.1 x64. I go to my W7 client and it is all fine. Everything I expect to be in the package is in the package. I go to my W8.1 client and as soon as it goes to look for Java it does not see it and tries to install it.

Yet I can sequence Java easily enough doing everything the same. The only difference being that I have not tried to install anything further during monitoring. Has anyone had any similar experiences at all sequencing for W8.1

Friday, February 14, 2014 11:39 AM

Answers

• Just to confirm

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sgern/archive/2014/02/04/10496630.aspx

was exactly what I was after. Wasn't just Java this fixed. I have another ActiveX control that was doing exactly the same that I have been trying to get to work for it seems like an age that is used by majority of users.

Reason it was proving difficult to get to the bottom of this is App-V 5.0 SP2 is only really installed on our W8.1 PCs and configured to App-V infrastructure. We have various versions of App-V 5.0 on W7 PCs (and not configured over and above installation)  dependent on what was available at time "image" was created.

• Proposed as answer by znack Monday, February 24, 2014 9:06 PM
    • Marked as answer by Brandon RecordsModerator Wednesday, February 26, 2014 5:04 PM
    Monday, February 24, 2014 12:52 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Did you try to sequence it on Win 8.1?

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Friday, February 14, 2014 6:35 PM
  • Not sure I need to go into too much detail now. Same thing was happening when I sequenced in W8.1 using 4.6SP3 but on our clients we have 4.6SP3 and 5.0SP2 and I have just seen Sebastian's blog

which seems bang on.

Also, reading Dan Gough's blog on sequencing Java in App-V 5.0 looks like it may hold some clues too. If still a problem I will update.

Thursday, February 20, 2014 1:44 PM
  • Just to confirm

was exactly what I was after. Wasn't just Java this fixed. I have another ActiveX control that was doing exactly the same that I have been trying to get to work for it seems like an age that is used by majority of users.

Reason it was proving difficult to get to the bottom of this is App-V 5.0 SP2 is only really installed on our W8.1 PCs and configured to App-V infrastructure. We have various versions of App-V 5.0 on W7 PCs (and not configured over and above installation)  dependent on what was available at time "image" was created.

• Proposed as answer by znack Monday, February 24, 2014 9:06 PM
    • Marked as answer by Brandon RecordsModerator Wednesday, February 26, 2014 5:04 PM
    Monday, February 24, 2014 12:52 PM