SFB and Exchange Addressbook policies RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

We have a customer which hosts two organizations that are competitors.  Each organization has it's own childdomain in the same Forest.   In order to make sure Exchange address book doesn't display users from the other organization, they configured address book policies based on a custom attribute.   This is supported, best practice and works very well.

After the customer setup Skype For Business, they noticed that the clients are respecting the address book seperation.   They can search for anyone in the forest and find them.   I though Skype For Business used the Exchange Address Book for this?

What steps should be taken in order to make sure that SFB also follow the address book policy/seperation?  

Is this the correct way of configuring this ?

ABSConfig.exe  ->   AbAttribute filter

OR

New-CsUserReplicatorConfiguration -Identity Org2 -ADDomainNamingContextList @{Add="dc=org2,dc=local"}

New-CsUserReplicatorConfiguration -Identity Org1 -ADDomainNamingContextList @{Add="dc=org1,dc=local"}

Update-CSUserDatabase

New-CsAddressBookConfiguration Org1

New-CsAddressBookConfiguration Org2

Update-CsAddressBook Org1, Org2

Any feedback is more then welcome here!  A second opinion is always a good thing.

Thanks

Best regards, David

Wednesday, June 28, 2017 2:41 PM

Answers

All replies

• According to my knowledge. What you trying to achieve is not possible. As long as the domains are in same Forest, users will be able to search others within the same forest. What you trying to do is form of hosting, which is not capable to do in Skype for Business on premises server. The command New-CsUserReplicatorConfiguration is only available in Skype for Business online. 

"New User Replicator configurations settings are created using the New-CsUserReplicatorConfiguration cmdlet. Note that these settings can only be created at the service scope and only for Skype for Business Online. You cannot create new User Replicator settings for the on-premises version of Skype for Business Server 2015."

http://thamaraw.com

Thursday, June 29, 2017 5:39 AM
  • Are you sure it's not the other way around?   The actual CMD set-CsUserReplicatorConfiguration, sorry for the confusion.   I noticed SFB online doesn't have this CMD-let ...  A screenshot with my test below

Technet Documentation for Skype For Business 2015 :
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg398540.aspx

According to this article it is perfectly possible to have multiple addressbooks and filters :
    http://www.fots.nl/lync-address-book-sync-process-information/

According to me it's possible to mask users from the search box in the client.  There are so many use-cases for it.   :-)

Best regards, David

Thursday, June 29, 2017 1:37 PM
  • Description

ABSConfig is a graphical user interface application that enables administrators to configure Active Directory Domain Services attributes that are related to Address Book Service.

The primary scenarios for the tool are the following:

• To enable administrators to map attributes in Active Directory Domain Services to the attributes for Skype for Business Server 2015.

• To enable administrators to specify the Active Directory Domain Services attribute to be included or excluded in the Address Book Service files.

• To enable administrators to restore default Address Book Service settings

This tool seems to be doing a part of the trick?  

Best regards, David

Friday, June 30, 2017 8:40 PM
  • You can use msRTCSIP-GroupingID AD attribute to partition GAL

Lync Server 2013 Guidance Series: Can I partition Global Address List?

• Marked as answer by David De Vos Sunday, July 2, 2017 5:08 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by David De Vos Saturday, August 26, 2017 3:57 PM
    Sunday, July 2, 2017 9:10 AM
  • This is really the complete correct answer!   Hope you find it useful.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/11/2014/10/06/lync-server-2013-guidance-series-can-i-partition-global-address-list/

Best regards, David

• Marked as answer by David De Vos Saturday, August 26, 2017 3:57 PM
    • Edited by David De Vos Saturday, August 26, 2017 3:57 PM
    Saturday, August 26, 2017 3:57 PM