Can receive mail, cannot send to external email addresses exchange 2003 to 2007

Question

• HI all,
    I've scoured the internet searching for an answer and am at a loss.

setup:
    1 exchange 2003 server
    1 exchange 2007 server setup with the hub transport role.

What was tested:
    Can send to internal email addresses
    Can receive from internal email addresses
    Can receive from external email addresses
    CANNOT send to EXTERNAL email addresses.
    telnet to server 25 on the 2003 server and can send emails to external addresses
    telnet to server 25 on the 2007 server and cannot send to external email addresses but CAN send to internal

followed several articles including:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb738138.aspx
    http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/2006/11/17/431555.aspx
    http://code4ward.net/cs2/blogs/code4ward/archive/2006/08/21/Teaching-Exchange-2007-to-Relay.aspx

note: Turning off my exchange 2003 virtual server completely stops any kind of outgoing email.  Im worried about this as one day the 2003 server will go down.

any help greatly appreciatedk, have been racking my brains for days.
    Friday, November 9, 2007 11:04 PM

All replies

• Do you have a send connector defined on the HT server and the HT server set as the source server for the send connector?

Sunday, November 11, 2007 8:00 PM
  • Hi,
    that actually sounds like what my problem is.  When doing my tests, i know for sure my send connector is not working with my receive connector.  How would I define this? I looked at my Exchange management Console and it doesn't look like an obvious choice.
    Tuesday, November 13, 2007 5:36 PM
  • on org config in EMC open the send connector and set your source server as your HT server.

on org config in EMC on the default recieve connector, allow anonymous access.

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 5:47 PM
  • Thanks for the quick reply.

I have done all that and it still fails.  I think it might have something to do with the accepted domains.  I added an accepted domain * and tried all three options "authoritative", "internet relay", and "external relay".

I am not running an edge server so the eternal relay seems like not what i should be choosing. any ideas =)

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 9:21 PM
  • oh...get rid of that * for accepted domains and define each of your internet domain names as authoratative.

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 9:27 PM
  • When I remove the * accepted domain, i get an error "unable to relay".

I attempt to email an address listed on the accepted domain list, which is outside my domain and it still gets stuck in the mai queue.

I am still thinking the ht server is not using the send connector. let me list recieve and send connector details.
    I have two Receive connectors
    1. is my default receive connector (if i disable this i an unable to telnet to port 25) So I assume this is the one i need to list.

A. Default receive
    Network - local IP addresses to receive mail: All Available 25
                   Receive mail from remote servers that have these IP addresses:0.0.0.0-255.255.255.255

Authentication - Specifiy which security mechanisms are available for incoming connections
    I  have checked "Transport Layer Security(TLS)" and "Basic Authentication"

Permission Groups - Ones I have checked.  Anonymous users, Exchange users, Exchange servers, Legacy Exchange Servers

B. Now I am clicking on the Hub Transport under Organization configuration and am choosing the Send Connectors
    Send Connectors:
    Address Space: *   smtp

Network: Use domain name system (DNS) "MX" records to route mail automatically
    Source Server: My 2007 exchange server is chosen

thanks for all the help =)

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 9:45 PM
  • Everything sounds right, but your accepted domains should all be *.domain.com, not just *

So if you have several

Create accepted domains for all:

*.domain1.com

*.domain2.com

etc

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 9:48 PM
  • The thing about the accepted domains is, we only have one active directory domain.

What is backing up in the mail queue right now are only emails to the outside world.

My test emails right now are going to gmail.com and they never get there, they just get stuck in queue.  Every so often i receive a Delivery Delayed for my test emails.
    Tuesday, November 13, 2007 9:56 PM
  • As long as your accepted domain is *.domain.com and not just * then its fine.

As far as gmail, is your firewall doing ESMPT inspection?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/products_configuration_example09186a008067cf3b.shtml

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 10:08 PM
  • hi,
    i dont believe the firewall is an issue because our 2003 exchange smtp server is working great sending to yahoo, gmail, etc =).  I am also not able to send to my university email address which should be inside the campus firewall.

Do you think it would be safe to uninstall resinstall exchange? or is there any other options? I am totally stuck now.
    Tuesday, November 13, 2007 10:17 PM
  • I would still look into the firewall. This wasn't an issue on my ASA (pix) until I moved to exchange 07. I think its b/c of the opportunistic TLS.

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 10:31 PM
  • Any chance I can make exchange run on smtp instead of esmtp? still finding out from the campus network gurus if emstp is being blocked/throttled.
    Tuesday, November 13, 2007 11:47 PM
  • Hi There,

You need to enable Exchange 2007 Hub Transport Accepted Domain as Internal Relay Domain while performing cross migration. Then allow relay between Exchange servers, Finally create SMTP connector for both Exchange Server.

Organization Config->Hub Transport->Accepted Domains

Name                          Accepted Domain      Type

--------------------------------  --------------------------------  -------------------

yourdomainname.com  yourdomainname.com  Internal Relay

Create a New SMTP Send connector to temporary route external email to Exchange 2003.

Organization Config->Hub Transport->Send Connectors
    New Send Connector as Custom,

Add Address Space =  *  and checked include all subdomains

Network Settings select 'route mail to the following smart hosts'

Add your existing Exchange 2003 server IP as smart host.

Configure smart host authentication settings = 'None'

Source Server = Your Exchange 2007 server.

Create a New Relay Receive connector to allow email to relay back to Exchange 2007.

Server Configuration->Hub Transport->Receive Connectors

New Relay Receive Connector as Custom,

Remote Network Settings = Remove the default network address 0.0.0.0-255.255.255.255 and add Exchange 2003 IP and other Exchange 2003 relays IP addresses.

Set the Permission Groups for Default Receive Connector to allow Anonymous

Set the Permission Groups for Relay Receive Connector to allow Exchange Servers and Legacy Exchange Servers

On your Exchange 2003 server

Launch ESM 2003 expand Administrative Group->First Administrative Group->Connectors

Create new SMTP connector to route external email to Entire Organization with * as Address Space.

Use DNS to route to each address space on this connector & add Local Bridgeheads as your Exchange 2003 server.

Expand First Administrative Group->Servers->YourExchange2003server->Protocol->SMTP

Rightclick Default SMTP Virtual Server properties -> Access tab->Relay button and add Exchange 2007 IP as relay.

Your organization external email should now flowing out.

Hope these help!.

Monday, December 17, 2007 2:35 AM
  • Thank for solution, RTAN - it works well in such situation Smile

Wednesday, January 30, 2008 8:44 AM
  • I realize this  post is old.  Hopefully you can answer my question.

We have an exchange 2003 server and just added a exchange 2007 server.  I was having a problem getting external email to work.  Your post worked great & email is now flowing.  We would like to decommission the exchange 2003 server soon after we move all the mailboxes to the 2007 box.  How will this affect our external email once the 2003 server is gone? 

Was the issue caused because we have both servers?  Can you give me some advise on how to decommission without causing email issues?

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 12:59 PM
  •   I found that the relay receive connector (the second note) actually prevented mail from flowing in - the previous day I was able to receive inbound but could not send outbound to the internet- adding the send connector corrected that problem.  The default receive connectors for the exchange 2007 server seemed to be sufficient. 
    Tuesday, February 10, 2009 3:44 PM
  • I have a similiar issue and cannot figure out.

Our office has setup Exchange 2010

in my VB code (for an application) that used to send out emails to internal (123abc@myCompany.com ) & external domain, say xyz@yahoo.com or abc@companyA.com

It was working fine before Exchange 2010 server was installed; before we were using regular POP3 and SMTP.

With the exchange server 2010, the same code (we only change the server IP address in the code - IP address of the Exchange server ) works only for Internal email sending, but not the external.

Any clue?

thanks in advance / shirley
    Saturday, March 13, 2010 11:00 AM
  • 
    It would appear that the new server doesn't allow you to relay.
    --
    Ed Crowley MVP
    "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    "scheungyyz" wrote in message news:cf0151f8-b714-4be5-9e84-38faddc72e69...
    I have a similiar issue and cannot figure out.

Our office has setup Exchange 2010

in my VB code (for an application) that used to send out emails to internal (123abc@myCompany.com ) & external domain, say xyz@yahoo.com or abc@companyA.com

It was working fine before Exchange 2010 server was installed; before we were using regular POP3 and SMTP.

With the exchange server 2010, the same code (we only change the server IP address in the code - IP address of the Exchange server ) works only for Internal email sending, but not the external.

Any clue?

thanks in advance / shirley

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Saturday, March 13, 2010 8:32 PM
  • Hi all,

Maybe this link will help you:

Configuring Mail Flow between Exchange and Domino: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff597984(EXCHG.80).aspx

I know that it is with Domino, but I think that you can follow the "Exchange" steps in configuring both the Exchange servers to receive / send to another domain.

Saturday, September 11, 2010 9:13 AM