none
Outlook freezes while opening specific types of junk mail.

Question

• On windows 10, my outlook 2016 is configured not to download pictures in spam.

But, recently outlook began freezing for a couple of minutes when opening certain spam emails.I'm not sure if this is because outlook changed, or , i only just started receiving these types of spam. 

Here is an example of a 'freezing' spam email (they always contains the manifesthandler link, and i get a lot of these advertising all sorts of different rubbish)...

Garcinia Melt #1 Weight Loss Supplement ever

27f13e40-b4e1-bca-bca-4b098606b389/src="manifests/appCacheManifestHandler.ashx?manifest=0&layout=mouse&UA=0" none="display: none;"> 
    a76ebacd-018c-348-348-b38eacccf27b/src="manifests/appCacheManifestHandler.ashx?manifest=0&layout=mouse&UA=0" none="display: none;">

If i enable images, these emails open really quickly.

What is it with these types of emails and outlook? Is there anyway to fix the freezing problem when images are off? 

Can't really do it by a filtering rule, as the filter seems incapable of detecting the 'appcachemanifesthandler' text. Maybe because it is a link?

Monday, March 27, 2017 1:20 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Does this issue continue if we start Outlook in safe mode? Press Windows key + R to open the Run command, type outlook /safe and press Enter.

Is there any error logged in Event Viewer when this issue happens?

>>Can't really do it by a filtering rule, as the filter seems incapable of detecting the 'appcachemanifesthandler' text. Maybe because it is a link?

May I know how did you create the rule? When testing in my environment, the 'appcachemanifesthandler' text in a hyperlink was successfully recognized by Outlook. Here is the rule I created:

If I've misunderstood something, please feel free to let me know.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 28, 2017 7:26 AM
  • Hi, i tried safe mode with no success, and there are no outlook events in the event manager. 

I checked using process monitor (the cpu goes to 30% ), and it seems the wwlib.dll is causing the freeze and high cpu usage. 

The stack alternates between...

ntoskrnl.exe!KeSynchronizeExecution+0x3f26
    ntoskrnl.exe!KeWaitForMultipleObjects+0x109c
    ntoskrnl.exe!KeWaitForMultipleObjects+0xb3f
    ntoskrnl.exe!KeWaitForMutexObject+0x377
    ntoskrnl.exe!KeUnstackDetachProcess+0x2230
    ntoskrnl.exe!ObDereferenceObjectDeferDelete+0x28a
    ntoskrnl.exe!KeSynchronizeExecution+0x25d3
    wwlib.dll!?LsInvalFormattingHistory@PTLS7@@YGJPAUlscontext@1@@Z+0x1f666

and....

ntoskrnl.exe!KeSynchronizeExecution+0x3f26
    ntoskrnl.exe!KeWaitForMultipleObjects+0x109c
    ntoskrnl.exe!KeWaitForMultipleObjects+0xb3f
    ntoskrnl.exe!KeWaitForMutexObject+0x377
    ntoskrnl.exe!KeUnstackDetachProcess+0x2230
    ntoskrnl.exe!ObDereferenceObjectDeferDelete+0x28a
    ntoskrnl.exe!KeSynchronizeExecution+0x25d3
    wwlib.dll!?FsCombineReuse@PTLS7@@YGXPAU_fsreuse@1@00@Z+0x459

So, it seems that each line in the email is being parsed in some way that uses a bit of time, and , because there are hundreds of these lines it takes outlook a while to get through them all. 

I had setup the filter exactly as you described and run them over the inbox, but, outlook still does not detect the text in the body. 

This is looking a bit complex to fix in the short term, maybe I'll just have to wait until spam filters adapt to this new type of email or MS fix this. 

Thanks for the help . 

Tuesday, March 28, 2017 9:36 PM
  • Thank you for the update.

We may also try search for the wwlib.dll file in Explorer, cut and paste it to another folder, and then try running a repair of your Office installation to see the result. For your convenience:

https://support.office.com/en-gb/article/Repair-an-Office-application-7821d4b6-7c1d-4205-aa0e-a6b40c5bb88b

Please let me know the result.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, April 4, 2017 7:38 AM