none
How to work with planned and real start date for tasks changing estimated finish date on Project 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• I have created a base work plan with planned start dates for each task (using predecessors too), but now that the project is really running, some tasks have started latter then planned. How can I change the real start date in these tasks and see what is the new estimate for the project finish date?

If you found this post helpful, please "Vote as Helpful". If it actually answered your question, remember to "Mark as Answer". Se achou este post útil, por favor clique em "Votar como útil". Se por um acaso respondeu sua dúvida, lembre de "Marcar como Resposta".

Friday, July 31, 2015 1:42 PM

Answers

• Juliano --

Did you change the tasks from Manually Scheduled to Auto Scheduled?  If not, you need to do that first.

To answer your question, if a task has actually started, you should enter the date in the Actual Start column.  I personally like to do the following to manually enter progress on tasks:

1. Click the View tab to display the View ribbon.
    2. In the Data section of the View ribbon, click the Tables pick list and select the Tracking table.

In the Tracking table, you will see all of the relevant columns needed for tracking progress.  You will see that the Actual Start and Actual Finish columns are the first two columns, along with other columns like % Complete, Actual Work, etc.  You can enter the actual start dates in the Actual Start column in the Tracking table, then switch back to the Entry table when finished.

If you already saved a Baseline, you can apply the Tracking Gantt view and compare the current schedule against the Baseline schedule.  You can also click the Tables pick list button and select the Variance table to see the Start Variance and Finish Variance information for every task.  If you see values greater than 0d in either of these columns, this means the tasks are slipping.

Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Friday, July 31, 2015 4:35 PM

All replies

• Hi Juliano,

I would enter a value for "Actual Start" in these tasks, then recalculate (F9).

Friday, July 31, 2015 3:42 PM
  • Juliano --

In addition to the excellent advice from Tom, make sure you have saved a Baseline for your project before you begin entering actual progress.  If you have saved a Baseline, you can use the Tracking Gantt view to see the overall slippage for every task in the project compared with its original Baseline schedule.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Friday, July 31, 2015 3:53 PM
  • Hi Juliano,

I would enter a value for "Actual Start" in these tasks, then recalculate (F9).

I've added the "Actual Start" (Início real in portuguese) column to the Gant Chart view and filled with the real data, but after pressing F9 it seems that nothing has happened.

Before:

After:

If you found this post helpful, please "Vote as Helpful". If it actually answered your question, remember to "Mark as Answer". Se achou este post útil, por favor clique em "Votar como útil". Se por um acaso respondeu sua dúvida, lembre de "Marcar como Resposta".

Friday, July 31, 2015 4:03 PM
  • Do I need to add the Actual Start column to the Tracking Gantt view or simply change the Start Date from this view after saving a Baseline?

Friday, July 31, 2015 4:26 PM
  • Juliano --

Thanks for including the screenshots.  That makes it a lot easier to see the source of the problems you are experiencing.  You have done a good thing and a bad thing in your project.  The good thing you have done, and I commend you for this, is you linked your tasks with task dependencies.  The bad thing you have done is you created each task as a Manually Scheduled task.  This means that Microsoft Project will not recalculate the schedule of each task when the schedule changes for a Predecessor task.  What you need to do is to select all of the tasks in your project and then click the Auto Schedule button in the middle of the Task ribbon to convert all tasks to Auto Scheduled.  Once you do this, Microsoft Project will automatically reschedule every task in your project, as needed.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Friday, July 31, 2015 4:26 PM
  • Juliano --

Did you change the tasks from Manually Scheduled to Auto Scheduled?  If not, you need to do that first.

To answer your question, if a task has actually started, you should enter the date in the Actual Start column.  I personally like to do the following to manually enter progress on tasks:

1. Click the View tab to display the View ribbon.
    2. In the Data section of the View ribbon, click the Tables pick list and select the Tracking table.

In the Tracking table, you will see all of the relevant columns needed for tracking progress.  You will see that the Actual Start and Actual Finish columns are the first two columns, along with other columns like % Complete, Actual Work, etc.  You can enter the actual start dates in the Actual Start column in the Tracking table, then switch back to the Entry table when finished.

If you already saved a Baseline, you can apply the Tracking Gantt view and compare the current schedule against the Baseline schedule.  You can also click the Tables pick list button and select the Variance table to see the Start Variance and Finish Variance information for every task.  If you see values greater than 0d in either of these columns, this means the tasks are slipping.

Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Friday, July 31, 2015 4:35 PM
  • Thank you very much, Dale.

I've changed the tasks to Auto Scheduled and saved the Baseline. Now I'll try your last suggestion.

Friday, July 31, 2015 5:04 PM
  • Rather than inserting the actual start column into the entry table, it is better to switch to the tracking table.

1. save display the tracking Gantt view
    2. display the tracking table
    3. save/set a baseline
    4. se a status date
    5. display the status date on the Gantt chart (gridlines)

Now you can see what you are doing, fill in the facts (actual start, actual duration, actual finish, also actual work and actual cost if you have resources and costs assigned) and then re-estimate the remaining duration of tasks which have actually started but, as at the status date, have not yet actually finished.

Saturday, August 1, 2015 12:16 AM