BSOD - W7-64bit - ntoskrnl.exe RRS feed

• Question

• Hi folks,,

I'm having troubles with BSODs on Windows 7 Ultimate running SP1. 

I used to get this in the past very frequently for no apparent reason. A few months ago, these BSODs were so bad that it would happen 3 ~ 4 times a day to a point where I did a clean wipe and it hasn't returned since....until yesterday. Whocrashed always reports that it's some generic driver problem and I haven't been able to isolate the problem. I also am not knowledgeable in knowing how to analyze the dump file. As per the forum requests, I've uploaded them to my skydrive in the public folder....at this link: http://sdrv.ms/POclmq (shortened via the Skydrive interface, not through some third party site).

I hope you folks here can help me isolate what's causing this as I really would not want to have to reinstall everything again only to have the problem return after a few months. 

Thank you so much in advance to anyone who can provide some insight as to what's causing the crashing. 

Here is what Whocrashed typically reports....

On Thu 7/26/2012 3:48:22 AM GMT your computer crashed crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\072512-14336-01.dmp This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x7F1C0) Bugcheck code: 0x50 (0xFFFFF7FFFB20B0E0, 0x8, 0xFFFFF7FFFB20B0E0, 0x2) Error: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System company: Microsoft Corporation description: NT Kernel & System Bug check description: This indicates that invalid system memory has been referenced. This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

• Edited by AuraSquared Thursday, July 26, 2012 10:47 PM
    Thursday, July 26, 2012 10:46 PM

Answers

• Hi,

In my opinion, Windows Media Player may not be the cause of leading to BSOD.

If you add some hardware recently, please remove them temporary for a test. If not, please update all hardware devices’ drivers from their provider websites, especially update the Graphic Card driver.

In addition, you can scan disk also.

1. Launch Command prompt as Administrator.

2. Type in “Chkdsk /f /r”.

Kim Zhou

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Tuesday, August 7, 2012 1:57 AM
    Friday, August 3, 2012 2:52 AM

All replies

• It just happened again, got another BSOD. Only thing running was Windows Media Player and PS3 Media server..... =( I've uploaded the minidump file into the same skydrive folder. To anyone who can help me troubleshoot this issue, I would greatly appreciate it! =)

Cheers.

Friday, July 27, 2012 12:51 AM
  • Anybody willing to take a look at my minidump? =)

Thank you in advance!

Saturday, July 28, 2012 1:20 PM
  • Hi,

After analyzing your latest dump file, the result is here.

BugCheck 50, {fffff87ff92f9f89, 8, fffff87ff92f9f89, 5}

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (50)

Invalid system memory was referenced.  This cannot be protected by try-except,

it must be protected by a Probe.  Typically the address is just plain bad or it

is pointing at freed memory.

Arguments:

Arg1: fffff87ff92f9f89, memory referenced.

Arg2: 0000000000000008, value 0 = read operation, 1 = write operation.

Arg3: fffff87ff92f9f89, If non-zero, the instruction address which referenced the bad memory

address.

Arg4: 0000000000000005, (reserved)

Please refer to the link below and troubleshoot the problem.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff559023(v=vs.85).aspx

Kim Zhou

Monday, July 30, 2012 6:56 AM
  • Hi Kim,

Thank you for taking the time to look at the minidump. I've also sought help in other forums thus far and other people are reporting that WMPlayer.exe was the problem in the first minidump. In particular, other people have suggested that I updated my REALTEK Lan drivers due to them being extremely old (i.e., from 2009). I've seen updated them at have yet to see any bluescreen errors. 

The only antivirus I'm using is Microsoft Security Essentials. I'm also running the disk checking utility on the hard drives now. So far, my core drives are perfectly fine.

I'll keep you guys posted if more and more BSOD occurs. Right now, they've stopped though.

I seriously doubt it's the RAM as I've run memtest on the ram for 24+ hours and it was fine.

Cheers.

Monday, July 30, 2012 12:19 PM
  • Hi Kim

Unfortunately, I just had another BSOD =( I was able to read it this time...it said something like SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION. I've uploaded the minidump to the skydrive folder.

I googled it and it brought me to this link: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff558949(v=vs.85).aspx

However, the cause suggested that it's likely related to graphics...? Is it due to a dying GPU or something?

Thank you so much for your time thus far.

Monday, July 30, 2012 11:01 PM
  • Hi,

In my opinion, Windows Media Player may not be the cause of leading to BSOD.

If you add some hardware recently, please remove them temporary for a test. If not, please update all hardware devices’ drivers from their provider websites, especially update the Graphic Card driver.

In addition, you can scan disk also.

1. Launch Command prompt as Administrator.

2. Type in “Chkdsk /f /r”.

Kim Zhou

• Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Tuesday, August 7, 2012 1:57 AM
    Friday, August 3, 2012 2:52 AM