none
Windows 10 1607 Build and Capture with SCCM Start Menu Issue RRS feed

• Question

• I'm having an issue with the build and capture process with Windows 10 anniversary addition.  I have created a generic build and capture sequence in SCCM 2012 R2 SP1.  I am able to capture a reference wim file.  When I try to then create an OSD Task Sequence using the new .wim it will apply to my workstation but when it gets to the first Windows 10 logon it sits at "We'll be ready soon" for at least 20 minutes.  When that process finally completes and I'm presented with a Windows Desktop the Start Menu and Cortana do not function.  When I click on them I get no response.  At this point I've stripped out any modifications to the Built and Capture Task Sequence, and the OSD Task Sequence, but it still does this.  My unattend.xml works fine with Windows 10 1511, so I don't think it is the problem.  This all being done on VMware VM's so I don't think it can be a hardware or driver issue.

• Edited by JeremyVT Wednesday, August 10, 2016 12:18 PM
    Wednesday, August 10, 2016 12:10 PM

All replies

• I have been reporting this issue for over a year now.. Many other users have the same issue.. Even with 1607 release, Windows 10 search and start menu is still not working. Any updates that have been applied for your image?

I have noticed that some KB updates resolves the search function.

Also, did you set the copyprofile to TRUE in your unattend?

Thursday, August 11, 2016 11:48 AM
  • Hi,

I encountered a similar issue with our Windows 10 deployment, after login Start menu and Cortana didn't function at all on the users second and subsequent logins this was very consistent. I found that if I disabled my Software Restriction in my GPO the issue would go away and then if I re-applied them the issue returned. We use SCCM to deploy this image to physical and VMware View VDI's.

No guarantees my workaround works with other setups and GPO configs though and you might always want those software restriction policies! Its just something I observed so may help someone to resolve this annoyance.

Martin Searle

University of Kent, UK

Thursday, November 3, 2016 5:12 PM