none
SCCM 2012 R2 - Maintenance Windows + Installation deadline ASAP + Deadline Randomization

Question

• There are a ton of questions out there regarding MWs and deadlines etc, but I haven't found any yet with my specific question:

If I:

Use an ADR that sets the software available time and installation deadline both to ASAP 

AND

put my machines into maintenance windows

AND

enabled deadline randomization (disabled by default in SP1 and R2)

Will the deadline randomization take place during the maintenance window?

I know the default setting for the randomization is 0-120 minutes so if I match that and make my MW 2 hours, can I expect all the machines in that MW to patch ONLY during the MW but at a random time during those 2 hrs?

Wednesday, September 10, 2014 4:56 PM

Answers

• I tried for a couple days and could not get any of my 3 test machines to patch during the maintenance window with deadline randomization enabled.

Yesterday I disabled it and over the night, 2 of my 3 machines patched during the MW.

It doesn't appear to like the proposed setup - I would have anticipated them patching during the MW but during a random time between 0-120 min from when the MW started

Tuesday, September 16, 2014 12:56 PM

All replies

• That's something that can be tested easily. I *think* randomization will happen, but you should verify it first.

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Thursday, September 11, 2014 6:08 AM
  • I tried for a couple days and could not get any of my 3 test machines to patch during the maintenance window with deadline randomization enabled.

Yesterday I disabled it and over the night, 2 of my 3 machines patched during the MW.

It doesn't appear to like the proposed setup - I would have anticipated them patching during the MW but during a random time between 0-120 min from when the MW started

Tuesday, September 16, 2014 12:56 PM