Searching of Emails are not accurate in Outlook 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• Dear Outlook Expert,

our clients are using Outlook 2013 and currently we have hybrid exchange on premise and Office 365 infrastructure.

Sometimes, we receive a call from users that there is some issue with email searching in outlook. The searching doesn't give the accurate result. Take a scenario that i tried. We tried to search emails from a user called "Andy", the search result produce all emails from "Andy", which we thought thats are all emails received from Andy. However, when we scroll through, we found that there are some emails from specific dates are not reflected in the search. When we tried to search manually by scrolling to specific date, we can find the email from "Andy". it means that the search result is not accurate.

We have tried to do the indexing in outlook but it still give the same issue.

Is there any settings that we can configure to get the better accuracy of outlook search result?

Thanks

Regards,

Wednesday, January 11, 2017 5:26 AM

Answers

• Hi Henry,

Are you using Outlook in cached Exchange mode? Does this issue continue if we switching to online Exchange mode?

How many items does it return? Does it return 250 search results? If this is the case, it could be that you restricted the maximum number that returns when searching. 

Have you tried recreating the OST files for these users and then test it again? It could be that the OST files become corrupted so that some items are not indexed.

Please let me know the result.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Hi Steve,

Sorry for the late reply.

What do you mean by restricting the number of search? I am not aware that we could restrict the number of search in outlook.

Could you show me the guide on how to do that? It seems that this function is not really good as when we are doing searching for certain topics, subjects, etc, we usually would like to search the whole.

Thanks

Regards,

H

HI all,

issue solved by performing windows indexing again.

Thanks

Regards,

H

• Marked as answer by Henry2050 Sunday, April 30, 2017 2:59 PM
    Sunday, April 30, 2017 2:59 PM

All replies

• Hi Henry,

Are you using Outlook in cached Exchange mode? Does this issue continue if we switching to online Exchange mode?

How many items does it return? Does it return 250 search results? If this is the case, it could be that you restricted the maximum number that returns when searching. 

Have you tried recreating the OST files for these users and then test it again? It could be that the OST files become corrupted so that some items are not indexed.

Regards,

Steve Fan

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Monday, January 16, 2017 9:38 AM
    Thursday, January 12, 2017 5:58 AM
  • Hi Henry,

Regards,

Steve Fan

Hi Steve,

What do you mean by restricting the number of search? I am not aware that we could restrict the number of search in outlook.

Could you show me the guide on how to do that? It seems that this function is not really good as when we are doing searching for certain topics, subjects, etc, we usually would like to search the whole.

Thanks

Regards,

H

Thursday, March 2, 2017 5:39 AM
  • Hi Henry,

Regards,

Steve Fan

Hi Steve,

Thanks

Regards,

H

HI all,

issue solved by performing windows indexing again.

Thanks

Regards,

H

• Marked as answer by Henry2050 Sunday, April 30, 2017 2:59 PM
    Sunday, April 30, 2017 2:59 PM
  • Great! Thank you for telling us that!

Regards,

Steve Fan

Monday, May 1, 2017 1:32 AM