Strange behavior in a template with a textbox - Paste floats the temp[late down to the end of the document RRS feed

• Question

• I recently constructed a letterhead template for my wife. The letterhead comprises a text-box running down the left-hand side of the page (rotated), a text box and a rule at the bottom of the page. All of these elements are anchored to the page, rather than a paragraph or a column.

When I simply type onto a document created with this template, the template works fine. New text that is typed flows down the page as expected, and if longer than one page the Odd and Even page headers and footers work fine.

The problem comes when I want to paste a large body of text (an existing letter - easiest way to get test data, right ;-) into the new document. The pasted content flows upwards (rather than downwards, so that the template elements are not on the last page of the document rather than the first page. I would have expected the first page of the pasted text to be on the same page as the template elements, and then for the second and subsequent pages to be after those elements (ie on a 'blank' page).

I'm certain that there is a real simple explanation for this phenomenon, but I can't explain it (and therefore fix it), and it is bugging the heck out of me! Any ideas?

Thanks,

Tony

Sunday, July 28, 2013 1:28 PM

Answers

• It sounds like you didn't put this letterhead text into the header layer of the template document and inside you placed it into the main content layer.

A text box is by default, a "floating" shape (meaning text can wrap around it) and is anchored to a paragraph mark. Probably in your templates case, it is anchored to the first paragraph mark of the document and that would explain the behavior when you paste content into the document... it pushes what was the first paragraph mark down and it becomes the last paragraph mark after the pasted in content.

By placing the vertical text box in the header layer, you can position it within the margin area of the page. By doing it this way you will also want to set your template to having a different first page header.

Go to Word's help function and read up on how to use headers and footers.

Hope this helps

Kind Regards, Rich ... http://greatcirclelearning.com

• Marked as answer by TFurnivall Monday, July 29, 2013 5:39 PM
    Sunday, July 28, 2013 2:30 PM

All replies

• It sounds like you didn't put this letterhead text into the header layer of the template document and inside you placed it into the main content layer.

A text box is by default, a "floating" shape (meaning text can wrap around it) and is anchored to a paragraph mark. Probably in your templates case, it is anchored to the first paragraph mark of the document and that would explain the behavior when you paste content into the document... it pushes what was the first paragraph mark down and it becomes the last paragraph mark after the pasted in content.

By placing the vertical text box in the header layer, you can position it within the margin area of the page. By doing it this way you will also want to set your template to having a different first page header.

Go to Word's help function and read up on how to use headers and footers.

Hope this helps

Kind Regards, Rich ... http://greatcirclelearning.com

• Marked as answer by TFurnivall Monday, July 29, 2013 5:39 PM
    Sunday, July 28, 2013 2:30 PM
  • Thanks Rich. Great work-around.

I still think that anchoring the textboxes to the page, rather than to the column or (worse) a paragraph should have done it. However, mot important is to get the job done, and then decide if it's worth agonizing over...

Nah, it's not!

Tony

Monday, July 29, 2013 5:40 PM