none
list of genders beyond Male and Female RRS feed

• Question

• I've had my first request for additional values in the gender column of a database table beyond Male and Female. The user has requested "T-F" and "T-M", which I think will be for "Transgender-Female", etc. The application assigns people to dormitory accommodations based on their gender.

I wonder if there is such a thing as a commonly used set of names for genders in English beyond Male and Female. If anyone knows of one, I'll use that instead of making it up as we go along.

Tuesday, January 19, 2016 3:14 PM

Answers

• I would ask the customer/application owner to supply the list, just as you would with other potential column values. For an initial attempt at a list for a starting discussion, you could check out the 50+ new gender categories that Facebook introduced within the past couple years. There are numerous articles online that include this list.

Thanks,
    Sam Lester (MSFT)

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/samlester

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" and "Vote as Helpful" on posts that help you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, January 19, 2016 4:35 PM
  • Here is what Facebook is doing about it.

Andy Tauber
    Data Architect
    The Vancouver Clinic
    Website | LinkedIn

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" and "Vote as Helpful" on posts that help you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, January 19, 2016 5:49 PM

All replies

• I don't there is at the moment.  You could perhaps get some advice from your HR department?

There are a few religions that have a third gender but there is nothing legal, there have been calls to have the "Transgender" officially recognised but nothing as yet; I had this issue a number of years ago and we came up with MToFTransition and FToMTransition

Please click "Mark As Answer" if my post helped. Tony C.

Tuesday, January 19, 2016 3:19 PM
  • I would ask the customer/application owner to supply the list, just as you would with other potential column values. For an initial attempt at a list for a starting discussion, you could check out the 50+ new gender categories that Facebook introduced within the past couple years. There are numerous articles online that include this list.

Thanks,
    Sam Lester (MSFT)

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/samlester

Tuesday, January 19, 2016 4:35 PM
  • Here is what Facebook is doing about it.

Andy Tauber
    Data Architect
    The Vancouver Clinic
    Website | LinkedIn

Tuesday, January 19, 2016 5:49 PM