Is Windows 7 Better Enough? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I already own the hardware upon which, and software that I wish to install—Windows 7.  Prior to my pourchaing the Windows 7 software licence/product-key-code and media, I began a 90 day trial installation on my machine, which is, at the very least, the prototype machine for my organization.

I purchased the Windows 7 media and product keys in confidence that I would be able to resolve my issue, and that there would be no reason that, though, at the time my trial installation wouldn't worlk properly [I cannot boot/logon in safe mode] that we could resolve this.

My hardware meets the minimum requirements, and Windows Xp Prfessional functioned perfectly well on this machine.  However, now I cannot re-install my copy of Windows Xp (I tried the other day) and have been informed that the maximum number of activations had been achieved) and Windows 7 Enterprise still will not boot (even after a clean re-instalation) and logon in safe mode, whiich is required for reasons I shouldn't eeed to explain to anyone in this forum, of course.

Here are my basic specs, I can't seem to resolve the problem without experimenting with the trial software, and I don't know if Microsoft wants the trial software used this way, I.E., as a learning tool for delployment/repair strategies??...

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise
    Version 6.1.7600 Build 7600
    Other OS Description  Not Available
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Name GOD
    System Manufacturer MicronPC_MPC
    System Model D845GRG_
    System Type X86-based PC
    Processor Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 1 Core(s), 1 Logical Processor(s)
    BIOS Version/Date Intel Corp. RG84510A.86A.0028.P15.0302260937, 2/26/2003
    SMBIOS Version 2.3
    Windows Directory C:\Windows
    System Directory C:\Windows\system32
    Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
    Locale United States
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7600.16385"
    User Name GOD\Installation User
    Time Zone Pacific Daylight Time
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 1.00 GB
    Total Physical Memory 1.00 GB
    Available Physical Memory 565 MB
    Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 1.48 GB
    Page File Space 1.00 GB
    Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Thank you ༎ལྡྷུན་གྱི་གྲུབ་པ་པདྨ་འགྲོ་འདུལ༎
    Friday, June 10, 2011 9:59 PM

Answers

• On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 16:50:21 +0000, Lhun-gyi Grub-pa Padma 'gro-'dul
    wrote:

But, if you "folks" cannot answer a question, what does that say about you, not only the IT persons of "an" organization, but "the" organization (when one is speaking of networked systems.)

It is a shame that I would have to put the same posting in multiple forums, and still recieve NO helpful replies, nor even interest in understanding why my system meets all ot the advertised requirements, and yet YOUR product is ineffective, and doesn't perform as, I am sure, the manufacturers and top-level investor care that it should.

This is why they hire you to create updates, hotfixes, etc.

Yet, you act as if these are non-issues, because you can't be bothered.

I am using evaluation software to evaluate≈not only the software, but the staff at Microsoft(R).

You folks? You? The staff at Microsoft?

You apparently think you are addressing Microsoft here. You are not.
    This is a peer support forum. We are all just users of this version of
    Windows here, helping each other if and when we can. We are not
    Microsoft employees (not even those of us with "Microsoft MVP" behind
    our names; that's an honorary title for having provided consistently
    helpful advice) except for an occasional employee.

If you want to complain to Microsoft about something, please contact
    them directly. Trying to do it here is just a waste of (figurative)
    breath.

Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 12:37 AM
  • Looking at the docs provided, I see that you are uisng a very old system board

Get some new hardware for Windows 7

My MVP is for the Windows Desktop Experience, i.e. Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7 IT

Remote Assistance is available for a fee. Visit my IT site for information.

I am best with C++ and I am learning C# using Visual Studio 2010. My page on Video Card Problems is now my most popular landing page.

Developer | Windows IT | Chess | Economics | Hardcore Games | Vegan Advocate | PC Reviews

Thursday, June 23, 2011 2:31 AM

All replies

• Answered in another forum. Please do not post the same question
    multiple times or in multiple places.

Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP
    Saturday, June 11, 2011 12:04 AM
  • Thanks,

But, if you "folks" cannot answer a question, what does that say about you, not only the IT persons of "an" organization, but "the" organization (when one is speaking of networked systems.)

It is a shame that I would have to put the same posting in multiple forums, and still recieve NO helpful replies, nor even interest in understanding why my system meets all ot the advertised requirements, and yet YOUR product is ineffective, and doesn't perform as, I am sure, the manufacturers and top-level investor care that it should.

I am using evaluation software to evaluate—not only the software, but the staff at Microsoft(R).

Thank you ༎ལྡྷུན་གྱི་གྲུབ་པ་པདྨ་འགྲོ་འདུལ༎
    Wednesday, June 22, 2011 4:50 PM
  • This is not the staff of Microsoft but a user group of users just like you trying to help one another.
    Wednesday, June 22, 2011 7:23 PM
  • On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 16:50:21 +0000, Lhun-gyi Grub-pa Padma 'gro-'dul
    wrote:

I am using evaluation software to evaluate≈not only the software, but the staff at Microsoft(R).

You folks? You? The staff at Microsoft?

You apparently think you are addressing Microsoft here. You are not.
    This is a peer support forum. We are all just users of this version of
    Windows here, helping each other if and when we can. We are not
    Microsoft employees (not even those of us with "Microsoft MVP" behind
    our names; that's an honorary title for having provided consistently
    helpful advice) except for an occasional employee.

If you want to complain to Microsoft about something, please contact
    them directly. Trying to do it here is just a waste of (figurative)
    breath.

Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 12:37 AM