none
Powershell Change Language, Region, TimeZone and add Keyboards RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Friendos,

I am a bit lost getting my region, language, time zone and keyboard layout together.

At the Moment i have a Powershell skript ready to get deployt via Intune with the Following Commands:

#Luxembourg -

Set-WinHomeLocation -GeoId 147 # Set Luxembourg - Country or Region Setting

Set-Culture de-DE # Set German - Regional Time & Date Format

Set-TimeZone W. Europe Standard Time # Set W. Europe Standard Time - Time Zone

Set-WinUserLanguageList en-GB, lb -force # Set / Add en-GB & LB(Luxembourgish) - to preferred Languages in settings 

If i check my WinUserLanguageList it shows me: 

So i set the LanguageTag (en-GB , lb) on my Set-LanguageList command. So far everything works out fine.

Let me explain the situation quick:

- we use Luxembourgish keyboards

- windows UI Language needs to be english

- Location needs to bee Lux

- Browser and App Content needs to be in English aswell

If I Set-LanguageList to en-GB first first and LB second, - the Content in Browser or apps will appear in English.

But the en-GB has no LB Keyboard in Options. So Users are going to cry "they need to change their keyboards manually and settings are going to be overwritten by a restaret." I would like to avoid this.

I did not find a Solution to add a keyboard to a preferrd language via Powershell.

Let me show this Situation in Gui:

1. LanguageTag on Set-LanguageList == en-GB     

2. Check out preferred Languages on Settings:

3. In Options i only have Keyboard GB and sometimes US 

Is there a Solution, to add keyboards to a preferred language Tag in this Set-LanguageList Command?

Wouldn't it be great to add keyboards via powershell to preferred Language settings?

I would also love to lock all these Options, since User will never understand the Differenz and impact of Region, language and keyboard settings.

Thank you very much in Advance and kind regards.

Paulson

• Edited by xPaulson Monday, October 14, 2019 2:50 PM less returns
    Monday, October 14, 2019 7:31 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hello Paulson,

You can use the Set-WinDefaultInputMethodOverride cmdlet, which specifies a default input method for the current user account. 

More details about this cmdlet, you can click the following link.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/international/set-windefaultinputmethodoverride?view=win10-ps

Best regards,

Andy Liu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by xPaulson Friday, October 18, 2019 3:18 PM
    Tuesday, October 15, 2019 2:36 AM
  • Hey Andy,

Thank you very much for your fast and helpful reply.

I just added both languages.

Set-WinUserLanguageList en-GB, lb-LU -force 

After

Set-WinDefaultInputMethodOverride -InputTip "046E:0000046E"  (Luxembourgish)

and a restart it worked out pretty fine.

Wouldn`t be easier for Companys with an en-LU Option in SetUserLanguageList?

Like english web and app language & an automatic luxembourgish keyboard only.

I can t find an entry in MS KLID List. German-LU & French-LU is available.

Thank you very much and kind regards.

Pauson

Friday, October 18, 2019 2:53 PM