Can the Sharepoint Time Clock Custom List calculate running totals for time worked? RRS feed

• Question

• My department has been using the Time Clock Custom List for several years and it's worked fine for our purposes. Recently I was tasked with getting several other departments to transition from the old punch card system to the SharePoint clock. The issue is that these departments are very particular about overtime, and the employees are expected to track their hours closely each week to ensure that there is no overtime.

It may be that I haven't fully figured out the functionality of the Time Clock Custom List--I'm not an IT guy and have only basic SharePoint training through our in-house Corporate Training department. But I haven't been able to figure out any way to get the Clock to provide running totals or factoring out their unpaid lunches or breaks. When I run my payroll, I copy the raw data from the Time Clock list into an Excel spreadsheet with formulas in place to subtract the lunches (the employees make four puches per day--IN, OUT to lunch, IN from lunch, and OUT). We're not concerned with overtime so we have never worried about having running totals, day by day.

The folks that we're trying to convert to the SharePoint time clocks are much less savvy about computers than I am (and I'm not very savvy myself) so getting them to extract data, copy it into a spreadsheet and manipulate it to figure out their times doesn't seem very likely.

Does anyone have any suggestions for getting the SharePoint Time Clock to provide running totals as simply and painlessly as possible? Any insights are highly appreciated!

Thursday, March 22, 2012 4:57 PM

Answers

All replies